Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #81
Scattered

Name: Scattered
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Checked compression and did a leakdown test on each cylinder. Checked it with the motor cold and hot.

Cold compression was 370psi on cylinder 1 and 6. 320psi on 2, 4, and 5, and 280psi on 3.
Checking it hot all the readings just went up about 10-15psi

Now when I did the leak down at 100psi cylinders 1 and 6 held 90psi.
But 2, 3, 4, and 5 only hold 45-55psi. There’s a pretty loud hiss coming out the exhaust. No hiss out the intake, no bubbles in the radiator, and nothing terrible coming out the crankcase breathers either. Cylinder 1 and 6 there was no hiss.

I searched a bit but didn’t find an exact spec for compression. I didn’t think that was too bad, the motor just not has 130k on it and it’s only been abused for about 2k miles.
Could it be exhaust valves not sealing contributing to my issue?

I still need to try another set of governor springs it it too

Old 09-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #82
MufflerBearing

Name: MufflerBearing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Checked compression and did a leakdown test on each cylinder. Checked it with the motor cold and hot.

Cold compression was 370psi on cylinder 1 and 6. 320psi on 2, 4, and 5, and 280psi on 3.

Checking it hot all the readings just went up about 10-15psi

Now when I did the leak down at 100psi cylinders 1 and 6 held 90psi.

But 2, 3, 4, and 5 only hold 45-55psi. There’s a pretty loud hiss coming out the exhaust. No hiss out the intake, no bubbles in the radiator, and nothing terrible coming out the crankcase breathers either. Cylinder 1 and 6 there was no hiss.

I searched a bit but didn’t find an exact spec for compression. I didn’t think that was too bad, the motor just not has 130k on it and it’s only been abused for about 2k miles.

Could it be exhaust valves not sealing contributing to my issue?

I still need to try another set of governor springs it it too
What for camshaft are you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Old 09-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #83
Scattered

Member`s Gallery
188/220 Hamilton

Old 09-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #84
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Forgive me for not reading through the whole thing, but has the head ever been off and checked? I was chasing my tail trying to figure out why my truck was down on power all last summer. Still ran ok but it wasn't how it should've been, boost was only down about 10psi from normal and had no leaks elsewhere. No matter what I did it wouldn't clean up and I had more than enough air. Compression test showed 1 & 6 about 50 psi higher than the others and they all had more leak down than I would've liked. Ended up pulling the head and found about a dozen cracked valve seats, new head and it was back to normal. Might be worth a check at this point.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #85
Scattered

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachu812 View Post
Forgive me for not reading through the whole thing, but has the head ever been off and checked? I was chasing my tail trying to figure out why my truck was down on power all last summer. Still ran ok but it wasn't how it should've been, boost was only down about 10psi from normal and had no leaks elsewhere. No matter what I did it wouldn't clean up and I had more than enough air. Compression test showed 1 & 6 about 50 psi higher than the others and they all had more leak down than I would've liked. Ended up pulling the head and found about a dozen cracked valve seats, new head and it was back to normal. Might be worth a check at this point.
Nope the head has never been off this engine since it was new. Sounds like your leak down results were the same as mine. Since there’s a pretty loud hiss coming out the exhaust I’m betting it does have bad valve seats. It’ll be coming off this winter for sure.

Closed Thread