Tach + Shift light

AHall

Hobbyist
Any links or info on rpm gauges that pick up off the harmonic balancer that also work with a shift light? I know about the autometer 6806, but it doesn't seem to have any shift light options. It'd be nice not to have to run two separate pickups on the balancer.

With a mag pickup and a GM 4 pin HEI ign module you can run any tack to shift light you want.

You'd run the mag pickup off the four bolts on the balancer, then wire that to an hei ignition module and tie your tach to that?

Two pick up wires will be on one side. 12v in and tach signal on the other. C is not grounded, it is the signal to the tach. The letters are as they are on the module. Wire the tach as the instructions for it show. + - & light

W= positive lead from the pickup
G= negative lead from the pickup
C= tach lead, may be labled as coil - to the tach
B= 12v positive, ign on

NAPA # TP45SB
51089.jpg

4 pin HEI module

In this PDF on page 2, the green wire going to the neg. side of the coil will be to terminal C on the module. All tach wiring is similar to this.
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1127.pdf

atm-5211_w.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet and simple I like it. Much appreciation Kevin. That was my best guess how to wire it. Thanks for the info

Do you have a factory Cummins crankshaft position sensor still? Are you looking for a really bright shift light? ISSPRO has a new line of tachometers, that have an integral shift light (built into the face of the tach). We have two options on the shift light, standard brightness (which is about as bright as a standard automotive warning light), and the racing version where we punch out the hole in the face dial over the light, and it is REALLY bright. You can get a version to read a mag sensor (like shown above), or for reading the factory Hall-effect crankshaft position sensor. The all also have peak recall as a standard feature. They are available in the same color schemes as our EV2 series:
ISSPRO Enhanced Visibility² Main Page

If you are interested, let me know the face style and I will look up part numbers (they are not on our website yet).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Was looking into the phantom II w/ shift light to match the rest of the gauges, just didnt like it only comes in 10k. The engine will never see more than 5500. But a I'm interested in an isspro

I'm working on getting a racing tach with shiftlight working on my mud truck, I've messed with the output of the factory sensor, thought I could get the Equus 8080 tach working like someone else did, and can't get a decent signal out of the factory sensor to run the tach. I now have a 3 wire oil field mag pickup hooked up, but not getting a good signal out of it either. Anyone know how if using the hei module with a 3 wire mag pickup will work? If I can get it reading atleast half rpm (2 pulses instead of 4), and get it working, I'm going to pickup a fast crank trigger wheel to give me 4 pulses like a v8.

I was on ISSPRO's website last night looking to see what's available tach/sensor wise and only thing I saw on there were tachs that read to 3500 rpm for diesels, I've got a 4k gsk in now and might go to a 5k gsk in the future, so I'd like to atleast have a tach to 5k, can you send me the info on the ISSPRO's tachs to work with the factory sensor and with a mag pickup?

A digital tach was another option. I think I might just run one because it's pointless to run a 10k tach. Especially when I'll only use the number for tuning and shift light for going down the track. I like the recall feature tho. Let's me fine tune my shift light to actual shift reaction time

Well now that I read the link I see the level three has some sweet features. Programable meaning shift light can have different shift points like 1-2 shift at 4500 2-3 4200 3-4 4800? Also the recall playback feature shows each actual individual shift? Or replays the run showing 4 gears worth of rpm increase?

I'm working on getting a racing tach with shiftlight working on my mud truck, I've messed with the output of the factory sensor, thought I could get the Equus 8080 tach working like someone else did, and can't get a decent signal out of the factory sensor to run the tach. I now have a 3 wire oil field mag pickup hooked up, but not getting a good signal out of it either. Anyone know how if using the hei module with a 3 wire mag pickup will work? If I can get it reading atleast half rpm (2 pulses instead of 4), and get it working, I'm going to pickup a fast crank trigger wheel to give me 4 pulses like a v8.

I was on ISSPRO's website last night looking to see what's available tach/sensor wise and only thing I saw on there were tachs that read to 3500 rpm for diesels, I've got a 4k gsk in now and might go to a 5k gsk in the future, so I'd like to atleast have a tach to 5k, can you send me the info on the ISSPRO's tachs to work with the factory sensor and with a mag pickup?

A 3 wire pickup is designed to have power in/out and a signal. Most automotive pickups like this work off of 5v. This style will not work with the HEI module. A tach needs a 12v signal.

Actually, the 3 wire mag pickup I have is a 12v mag pickup, my brother uses them in the oilfield for the electronics work he does in measuring rpm in various fluid filled equipment, it take 12 volts in. I'll monkey around with it tonight some more and see what I can get working, if it won't, I'll order a 2 wire pickup to try out.

If it's a 3 wire 12v you don't need a module with it. It should pulse 12v at every signal event.

Back