madmikeismad's new build thread/HD Fab Truck

Track opens 1 month from today! I gotta get a move on! First day is a no prep, and then there are 2-3 test'n'tunes a week all summer. This is going to be a great year, unless I blow up.

Jeff, got an ETA on those gaskets? Those and the rod bolts are pretty much all I need now to get the motor back together.

Track opens 1 month from today! I gotta get a move on! First day is a no prep, and then there are 2-3 test'n'tunes a week all summer. This is going to be a great year, unless I blow up.

Jeff, got an ETA on those gaskets? Those and the rod bolts are pretty much all I need now to get the motor back together.

You'll see them Mid week. I'm going to ship 3 Day air because I've been slacking on you. I'm also putting an oil filter in there that belongs to our resident cowboy crooner.

You'll see them Mid week. I'm going to ship 3 Day air because I've been slacking on you. I'm also putting an oil filter in there that belongs to our resident cowboy crooner.

LOL ok, that'll let me get the motor together by the 16th, and hopefully back to toolmans shop to put in the truck by the 21st. Of course, thats if I don't need bearings LOL.

How fast are you planning on going with this thing?

It ran 10.10 at 510hp. By the time it's all said and done, with the lighter trans, but my fat ass, should be about the same weight, and I plan on pushing it a little harder every pass.

I'm figuring I have way more than enough fuel and air for 700hp, the stock head will hold me back I'm sure, but I think I can get 700 out of it. Plus I'll have a 4spd w/ lockup, where before it was a th400 w/ overdrive unit.

End goal is very low 9's by the end of the summer. 8's maybe next year with cam, head work, and 13mm pump.

Cool. I would double check with an NHRA chassis inspector to make sure there will be no surprises there. Looks like fun, good luck.

Last edited:
Cool. I would double check with an NHRA chassis inspector to make sure there will be no surprises there. Looks like fun, good luck.

I've been in contact with the track I'll be running at most often. When asked what a 9.0 second car needs at a test'n'tune, they said:

Depends on exactly how fast and the setup on the car. General safety requirements would be a roll bar, 5 point restraints, fire jacket, helmet, long pants. You MAY also need to have a roll cage, full fire suit, complete roll cage, and window net. Jut depends on exactly how fast.

I need the fire suit, and helmet. I'm waiting on them to get back to me with what SFI they want for everything.

From someone who has been on fire...get the best suit you can afford. Above and beyond what they say you need!

Money is an issue. I don't want to cheap out, but I may have to for a little while.

A single layer suit provides 18 seconds of protection (IIRC)...though they are spendy I wouldn't buy less than a five layer....but I have no plans to race right now. Just don't skimp on safety. I know I'm preaching to the chior. LOL

Back