Broken turbo flange question

cottondoc

new to site
I have a side by side set of compounds on my 1995, 366 manifold charger and 480 atmospheric. I bought it off a member on here a year or so ago. I'm not sure who made the pipes or who welded the flange on the 366. I'm not sure what the main cause is for the breakage, but the welded on flange on 366 compressor cover has broken off twice. The first time it broke I had a welder friend of mine weld it back on and it looked pretty good. But it broke again in only a couple hundred miles. Maybe the pipe between the turbos is binding or something causing it to break, but the flange has always looked a little thin to me. Either way I think a new compressor cover and flange may fix it. Any thoughts? Who would be the right people to call that could help me get the right cover and flange? Thanks in advance for any help or information.
0910fb16784c34abf009be224eaa10fb.jpg
de822f291f6b381954171816da141db0.jpg
c0adf52ebc4d2208dc807fab6b0dc0f6.jpg
cdfc752627ff8a9c2656e07441c2a71c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gotta have some flex built into it. The weakest part is breaking. New cover with a charge pipe that has a rubber boot will solve your problem. Your 66 is holding up part of your 80's weight.

Something isnt happy. That pipe really needs some sort of flex joint in it it appears. My guess is the primary isn't supported well enough for a rigid pipe.

Would the fancy vibrant clamps help? I agree with the others that the supports need checked or a rubber coupler at the 66 with a tie strap.

I'm using the flange Keating machine makes welded to my secondary comp cover, stout part, then add a better brace for the primary.

How is the 80 supported? I agree with turbo2387. The interstage pipe is supporting weight it should not be.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll try to take a picture of the 480 support. I agree it needs a flex joint or some give in the pipe connecting the turbos. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

I couldn't get a good picture of the way the 480 is mounted but it's only held up by the pipes. It's weight is completely on the hot pipe from the 366, the down pipe and the cold pipe between the chargers. It does feel really sturdy but I thought it had an extra solid mount to the flange. It doesn't though after I looked closer.

My side by sides have a brace that goes from the bottom of the block to the primary and from the t6 flange to 4 exhaust studs to spread the weight.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sounds good guys. Thanks for the info. I thought it had a support from the motor mount to the T6 flange but I was obviously mistaken.

Definitely support off the motor mount, not the head. 12v's have a tendency of cracking the exhaust ears off the head. One more bonus for the Hamilton head.

Back