Attn: Hot Shotters---Question on PA to Michigan Rate

20cumminsram05

Need More Red Bull...
Got an offer to go pick up a car. Using the customer's enclosed trailer, How much do you guys think I should charge for the round trip. Dead Head from Clarks Summit, PA to Royal Oak, Mi and return Loaded... I was thinkin about $500, But I'm not sure. Lets hear your $.02

The way I look at it its 540 miles one way so at 10 miles to the gallon and $2.75 per gallon of fuel. It will cost you $297 so is your time worth $200 for 16 hours in a truck??

No, its probably worth a bit more than $12.50 an hourLOL I dont wanna screw the guy, but at the same time I dont need to be screwed either... Thats why I'm lookin for input. Thanks to those who posted so far.

Its up to you if you do this or not, and I wouldn't do it at all. If you don't have comm. ins and have an accident, your screwed. Also if you happen to get pulled over and the cop runs reg on the truck and trailer and finds out you are pulling for cash, he'll want to see cdl, dot#,ins,log book, and a few other things. So the question is, is the risk worth the gains? Only you can answer that.

Well I charge 2.00-3.00 per loaded mile. I use my own trailer though. I'm thinking you should charge 1.50-1.80 at least. Being that it is a friend, and his trailer. just make sure and carry a copy of the trailer registration with you.

Its up to you if you do this or not, and I wouldn't do it at all. If you don't have comm. ins and have an accident, your screwed. Also if you happen to get pulled over and the cop runs reg on the truck and trailer and finds out you are pulling for cash, he'll want to see cdl, dot#,ins,log book, and a few other things. So the question is, is the risk worth the gains? Only you can answer that.

log book?

log book?

Yep. Anytime you operate a vehicle requiring a CDL to do so legally, you must have a logbook filled out and current. Towing any trailer rated 10001 lbs or more for profit requires a CDL. I hotshotted a few years ago, and anytime I was pulled over, I was asked for drivers license, registration, Insurance, logbook, and in a few cases, my dot physical card. If any one of these items is missing or out of date, you will have a major problem.

Actually, ANYTHING over 10,000 pounds FOR HIRE and crossing State lines requires the following:
DOT #.
FMCSA Motor Carrier Authority (Unless Private or Not For Hire).
Log Book beyond a certain air miles (states vary).
Minimum Liability coverage of $750,000, which is part of the requirement for being granted MCA (Unless Private or Not For Hire).
Annual Inspection Certificate.
Medical Fitness Card.

If you travel Nationwide and Not For Hire, I STRONGLY recommend a getting a USDOT number with NO state suffix, this means you are able to cross state lines as a NOT FOR HIRE entity and not get into AS MANY sticky spots as you would with a state suffix.

You still CANNOT haul for financial or other gain, unless it is for your OWN usage or you are moving YOUR boughten product to home.
They will want some sort of proof of ownership and MAY contact the person you claim you bought it from, so have the info and the "story" straight beforehand.

Even NOT FOR HIRE and PRIVATE carriers must still carry a DOT number, Med Card and adhere to DOT safety standards, logbook regs and scale rules, as well as the state-by-state tax permit necessities.

Oh, yeah, $2-$3 a loaded mile, AND DOT COMPLIANT, all the time is defiitely a nice dream. :D

Mark.

Last edited:
700 ish no one will mess with you one car enclosed trailer and single wheel truck. How the hell they going to know its 4 fin gain? Its your car that you bought titles in the mail make up bill of sale 99% of the time you can bs your way out of it. I run dealer tags on my 12k pound welding truck everywhere dot stops me just have a good story.

Back