Setting timing

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I searched a little and couldnt find what i was looking for. I am wanting to if anyone has a timing chart to show the MM's of travel to equal a certain degree of timing. I have the 12v timing kit, but no chart. I am wanting to set mine around 28-30 degrees. I am still running VP pressures with my injectors.

Keep in mind that the higher you go with the timing numbers, the less accurate the plunger lift numbers are.

Ok, I'll keep it in mind when setting the timing up. I am gonna start at 25 and see how it does. Thanks for the input.

Also keep in mind optimal timing is not a "by the numbers" thing. Experiment and find what setting the truck runs best at, regardless of the number that corresponds.

Also keep in mind optimal timing is not a "by the numbers" thing. Experiment and find what setting the truck runs best at, regardless of the number that corresponds.

Adjustable timing gear makes this a much faster and enjoyable procedure.

How do u tell what ur doing if u have a gear like mine (with all the different hole) to choose from, with out taking the front of the truck off! It was hard enough to get tools in there to loosen or tighten on my 01 with front end intack.

I alway us the balancer with marks on it to adjust timing and it worked ok.

I would say ur on the right track at setting at 25 to begin with if its not to cold there, 15 or below! If u have to fire it everyday.

If This Is Your First Time Setting P Pump Timing May I Suggest 2 Youtube Videos By God Prefers Diesel. It Really Helped Me Out My First Couple Times.

Jesse's gear is what I'm using in my truck. When its time for my 12v to get one, I'll be calling him. In hindsight, my 12v would've been the better one to put it on in the first place.

the Piece that GOT-Torque makes looks pretty nice, I like the unit I got from Woodruff a bit better, but if I remember right it was over double the price as well. I like the eccentric concept better, it's a bit easier to change settings. Not to Mention GOT-Torque probably has exceptionally better customer service, Woodruff has been a real pain in the ass to get ahold of.

Back