Block plugs?

Hoiyay

In this picture, right above the yellow lines, what are these holes to?

If I remember right, I think it's an oil galley maybe? Think it's just plugged off, but not sure. It's metric though I'm pretty sure.

This is exhaust side, there's another one on intake side, but that's for the oil pressure sensor.

I stripped out every single freeze plug/oil plug etc to really clean everything out.

Has taken me about 5 months to get everything back together and I'm a little confused now.

Does anything else plug into the block for something I'm missing? 17462.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That's a 6.7 block.
The one on the right is where the fitting for the coolant line on the turbo screws in, the other is a plug with an allen head.
See attached pic.

Mark.

Attachments

• 15472246546391338212415.jpg
    15472246546391338212415.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's a 6.7 block.

The one on the right is where the fitting for the coolant line on the turbo screws in, the other is a plug with an allen head.

See attached pic.

Mark.
Aren't the 5.9 and 6.7 the same block?

Either way, I don't think this was a 6.7 block. It came out of a 2006 megacab. So unless the block was swapped I'm not sure about that.

So I know the turbo has an oil feed and an oil return.....but it also has a coolant line too?

My first statement was supposed to be a question, wrong punctuation, sorry. :(
All of the CR 5.9 and 6.7 blocks have those 2 holes (which go to coolant), but there are definitely differences between the 5.9 cr and 6.7 blocks, externally.

One being that the 5.9 doesn't have the machining at the rear for the bolted on block plate reinforcments for the 68RFE/AS68RC or AS69RC transmissions.

Mark.

My first statement was supposed to be a question, wrong punctuation, sorry. :(
All of the CR 5.9 and 6.7 blocks have those 2 holes (which go to coolant), but there are definitely differences between the 5.9 cr and 6.7 blocks, externally.

One being that the 5.9 doesn't have the machining at the rear for the bolted on block plate reinforcments for the 68RFE/AS68RC or AS69RC transmissions.

Mark.
Oh ok. So does the turbo have a separate coolant like as well? (At work so I can't go look). I know the oil feed comes from the top side of oil cooler, and drains from the metal tubing to bottom of block.

Where can I get plugs for these? What I found is 1) they are metric plugs and 2) they are not tapered pipe plugs so they won't seal without an oring. Would need special plugs.

I think I lost my plugs :(

A 5.9 uses either an HE341 (HY35-D) or an HE351CW turbo, of which both are NOT water cooled, so no cooling lines at all.
You just need 2 plugs, like the rear one in my pic.

I have some in dead blocks around here that I'll gladly give you. :)

Otherwise, an ESN and a visit to Cummins can probably net them new, too.

Or call up Snedge (Mumau Diesel) on here.

Mark.

Last edited:
A 5.9 uses either an HE341 (HY35-D) or an HE351CW turbo, of which both are NOT water cooled, so no cooling lines at all.
You just need 2 plugs, like the rear one in my pic.

I have some in dead blocks around here that I'll gladly give you. :)

Otherwise, an ESN and a visit to Cummins can probably net them new, too.

Or call up Snedge (Mumau Diesel) on here.

Mark.
Awesome, thank you!

Don't have a Cummins place close, but I have Dodge and they can get them for me. But God they are pricey.

I paid $35 for 2 dowels for the adapter plate on the flywheel.

Back