Oil/Liquid clean up

We've used various brands of oil dry/kitty litter for years and it does pretty well at absorbing whatever you need it too, but its also extremely dusty. Pig Mat is nice but also quite a bit more expensive. What does everyone prefer to use for oil/coolant clean up in the shop?

We've used various brands of oil dry/kitty litter for years and it does pretty well at absorbing whatever you need it too, but its also extremely dusty. Pig Mat is nice but also quite a bit more expensive. What does everyone prefer to use for oil/coolant clean up in the shop?
We get these big rolls of stuff thats just like carpet padding, but is roughly an 1/8 thick and I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than pig matts. Works great for big spills of coolant/oil. I'll see if I can find a new roll with info on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I can’t tell you a brand name, but we’ve been using some stuff the past couple of years that works great, as long as there’s not a strong wind. It’s very light, almost like a powder, and white. It’s in a bag about a third the size of a regular bag of oil dry. It’s also about 3-4 times the price of a standard bag of oil dry, but it takes a lot less of it.

I can’t tell you a brand name, but we’ve been using some stuff the past couple of years that works great, as long as there’s not a strong wind. It’s very light, almost like a powder, and white. It’s in a bag about a third the size of a regular bag of oil dry. It’s also about 3-4 times the price of a standard bag of oil dry, but it takes a lot less of it.
Cocaine?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Oil dry is banned in the shop I work at. We just use lots of drain pans with trans drain toppers and mop up afterwards. Probably less mess in the long run.

We get these big rolls of stuff thats just like carpet padding, but is roughly an 1/8 thick and I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than pig matts. Works great for big spills of coolant/oil. I'll see if I can find a new roll with info on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I’ve used these once and really liked them. Can’t recall the name.

I use absorbent pads, NOT Pig Mat. The brand is nice and works well, but the cost is very elevated. My SafetyKleen guy gave me their brand of pads to try, and I like them. Texture is good, doesn’t leave behind fibers like the cheap ones do, and the cost is fair. Plus he delivers which is a huge plus for me.

Depending on the job I use different stuff.

Kitty litter and oil dry are dusty. Pig mats are expensive.

When servicing an EGR cooler I use puppy training pads. They are quite absorbent, fold nicely and don’t allow soak through. I place them on top of the turbo or under the connections prior to pulling the cooler. Otherwise when draining coolant, I have found placing a kiddy pool under the engine works great. I then empty it using a hand pump meant for transferring kerosene. When it comes to fuel and oils, I use a drain pan to the best of my ability, then wipe up the floor by hand and mop the floor after I pull the truck or tractor out of the shop. I tried saw dust as I am able to get it for free and it was just as dusty kitty litter.

I think the pig mat is expensive because it does not absorb water. It only absorbs oils. We have to use it at work as we are on the lake shore and have an oil separator that goes directly to the water. If it’s raining and the tank farm is holding water the pig mat works excellent.

I use oil dry in the garage for any big spills. Other than some dust it seem to be the easiest.

I stopped using oil dry/kitty litter a long time ago; too dusty and messy. I use off-brand pig mats. Seems to work best for me anyway.

Back