Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Smokin ACE

Name: Smokin ACE
Title: 1st gen turbo tester
Member`s Gallery
Pics of your Single Bar traction bar setups?

Well I'm wanting to redo my traction bar setup on the rear. Right now I have Ladder bars that I built all myself on the back that are about 48" long and have a shackle on the frame so they don't bind. There is a backplate welded to the axle and that plate is bolted to the bars so the axle won't twist inside them.
Click the image to open in full size.
They seem to work pretty good but I've been breakin the bolts out where it mounts to the axle, plus I've heard if you truck pull that the longer the bars the better.

So I'm thinkin a 60" or 72" long single bar setup made out of 2" solid round bar would be a better route. I was gonna make a mount for them on the bottom of the lift block/U-bolt plate to mount them to the axle then make a solid mount to the frame with no shackle. I was gonna have the bars machined so they would have 2 3/4" holes about 6" deep centered in each end so I can tap them and put 3/4" heim rod ends in the end with a jam nut, Or I could drill the holes myself with a hand drill if its too pricey but probably won't get them very straight with 2" solid round bar, they will be pretty heavy, but will be stout and shouldn't ever have to worry about them bending or snapping or breakin the3/4" heims out

What do you think? and will the solid bars bind a lot and ride rough with no shackle or will they be fine? i might put my ladder bars on the front when I'm done, not sure yet. Just want your guys input and see pics of yours and how yours are setup.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
rockjeep73

Name: rockjeep73
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Check out this thread, not sure if you have seen it..

lets see pics of traction bars - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Lucas1

Name: Lucas1
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
you dont need longer bars......you need a set-up that works

for some reason everybody seam to follow the first guy that did it

i made it too page 14 and not one traction bar set-up was to my liking,but my 4x4 stuff may be different ...what do i know

for all the work putting those traction bars you have in you are so close to just 4-linking it ...

you need a better axle mount and you are binding the shackle under acceleration.
sometimes the wrong traction bar will actually not create traction. lifting of the rear end helps plant the front tires but unloads the rear.and vise/versa with too much squat..
should be parrallel with the driveshaft as well

needs to be more like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standard.jpg (61.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Lucas1; 05-06-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Smokin ACE

Member`s Gallery
why do I need an inverted shackle? after looking at it more today and reading some more, the longer bars will be pretty close to the angle of my driveshaft since they'll be mounted on the bottom of the U-bolt plate. Long single bar setups are better for pulling if you have suspension stops which I plan on making also so they won't bind. I'm just gonna use 3/4" heim rod ends for a 3 point hitch for now til I can afford the rubber bushing type.

How rough do the single bar setups ride for daily driving? this ol dodge already rides rough so I'm sure it can't be much worse.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
shiftycapone

Name: shiftycapone
Title: wandering the desert
Member`s Gallery
Don't go with solid bars, way too heavy. 1 3/4" ID .25 wall DOM tubing is plenty strong and 3 point links fit great in it.

1990 d250 12v

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Lucas1

Name: Lucas1
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin ACE View Post
why do I need an inverted shackle? after looking at it more today and reading some more, the longer bars will be pretty close to the angle of my driveshaft since they'll be mounted on the bottom of the U-bolt plate. Long single bar setups are better for pulling if you have suspension stops which I plan on making also so they won't bind. I'm just gonna use 3/4" heim rod ends for a 3 point hitch for now til I can afford the rubber bushing type.

How rough do the single bar setups ride for daily driving? this ol dodge already rides rough so I'm sure it can't be much worse.

well the tourqe of the diff twisting is putting pressure and binding the shackle.
if its the other way around it pulls up and as long as the angle is correct not try to push the shackle forward. and move the axle.

iam guessing your bolts from the top of your mount are breaking from the twisting action of the differential.

ride quality should not be affected at all from a proper traction bar set up.

the one you have in there now is not ideal because the angle doesnt match the drive shaft. think of the rear end squating down and think of the movement of the driveshaft...up and back right..well your traction bar is not on the same page...or not exactly the same.

ive seen tons of link/traction bar set-ups that stop 100% of axle wrap but do not cycle the suspension properly. It simply "lifts" the rear end during acceleration transfering the weight to the front and thus breaking traction.
you want the suspension to cycle properly squat the rear end. the cummins has enough weight to it to aid in traction in the front

a good start for you is doing a shackle flip and elliminating the huge factory lift block fighting against you

Last edited by Lucas1; 05-09-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Smokin ACE

Member`s Gallery
Well im goin with some 1 1/4" solid round bar. I ordered 12' of some 2" solid and don't know what I was thinkin but luckily i talked to a local metal/machine shop and am trading them it for two 66" long 1 1/4" bars with machined holes at both ends for 3/4" heims. Should do the job if you ask me. DOM is just as expensive or more expensive than this solid so I figured id go with this. Just gotta get some heims, build some mounts and have em all powdercoated.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
TMONEYDIESEL

Name: TMONEYDIESEL
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin ACE View Post
Well im goin with some 1 1/4" solid round bar. I ordered 12' of some 2" solid and don't know what I was thinkin but luckily i talked to a local metal/machine shop and am trading them it for two 66" long 1 1/4" bars with machined holes at both ends for 3/4" heims. Should do the job if you ask me. DOM is just as expensive or more expensive than this solid so I figured id go with this. Just gotta get some heims, build some mounts and have em all powdercoated.
Jesus.....

YOUR SOURCE FOR:
Camshafts
Pushrods
Valve springs
Custom Turbos
Exhaust Manifolds
Carrillo Connecting rods

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
collin_bucko

Name: collin_bucko
Member`s Gallery
Rear Mount

Front Mount

How they look painted and finished

2.5" DOM tubing, Heims Joints on all four corners... Have held up to some damn good abuse

Weekend Toy 1998 2.5 truck.. build in progress

Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
cumminsman315

Name: cumminsman315
Member`s Gallery
solid is a little overkill

ive never seen 2", 3/16" wall square tubing bend in a traction bar set up

Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Tube is stronger than solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Smokin ACE

Member`s Gallery
well the solid was cheaper than DOM for me and I ordered the wrong metal so I had to make something work instead of lose my money. 1 1/4" solid bar shouldn't be too heavy enough to make it noticeable and I'm sure they won't break or bend. Now the 2" solid, yeah that piece was about 126 lbs!!!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
shiftycapone

Name: shiftycapone
Title: wandering the desert
Member`s Gallery
Notice how its easier to bend a solid bar in the vice then a piece of pipe? Just sayin.....

1990 d250 12v

Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #14
450rbronco

Name: 450rbronco
Member`s Gallery
good point when i do mine im thinking 1.5 od .250 wall about 6 foot long

Closed Thread