Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
fatty

Name: fatty
Title: VE
Member`s Gallery
found oil squirters in pan

I pulled my engine recently to reseal it and do a cam. Everything looked fine until I got the oil pan off and found what appear to be two of the piston squirters laying next to the drain plug. Black plastic hollow pieces about 1.25-1.5" long, maybe 3/16" diameter. I'd post a pic but I'm on my phone. If someone can pm me their number I'll send the pic to be posted.

Question is, do I need to replace them? Engine ran great when pulled, still has cross hatch on all the walls. The bottom of the pistons and rods still look good.

If they do need replaced can I just pull the crank and replace everything exactly how it was? Or would I need new bearings?

Wasn't expecting to get this involved so that's why I got so many questions.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
On a stock engine, stock power I'd leave it. If egts are going to be high, its cheap insurance to replace them. Won't cost much more than time and gaskets. Should be able to use all the old bearings, just drive in new cooling nozzles.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
stubz616

Name: stubz616
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
👆x2
95 RCLB Farrell Diesel Stage 5 13mm pump,Hamilton Springs,Retainers,Pushrods,Fluidampr,Steed Speed,S467.7/soon to be S488 atmo,Full Billet Trans,DPC 4 disk TC,BD Pressure Loc,Haley Speed 5x.022s,Diesel Pros Custom Cam,O-Ringed,.010 over HG,A1000,Hellman sump,625 Studs, 30*

Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
They do make aftermarket metal squirters too if you want to go that route. They'd never break off again.
95 RCLB Farrell Diesel Stage 5 13mm pump,Hamilton Springs,Retainers,Pushrods,Fluidampr,Steed Speed,S467.7/soon to be S488 atmo,Full Billet Trans,DPC 4 disk TC,BD Pressure Loc,Haley Speed 5x.022s,Diesel Pros Custom Cam,O-Ringed,.010 over HG,A1000,Hellman sump,625 Studs, 30*

Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubz616 View Post
They do make aftermarket metal squirters too if you want to go that route. They'd never break off again.
I know the early CR's had metal squirters too. Anyone know if they're direct replacements?

I personally would definitely replace them if you're trying to push power and making heat.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
The metal ones I saw were from Ebay and one other company I saw but can't think of the name right now

Old 03-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I know the early CR's had metal squirters too. Anyone know if they're direct replacements?

I personally would definitely replace them if you're trying to push power and making heat.
AFAIK, all CR cooling nozzles are metal. They just have a plastic locating tab.

Haven't looked inside a 12v/or VP block in a while, but I don't think its a bolt in modification to run the j-style nozzle.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
AFAIK, all CR cooling nozzles are metal. They just have a plastic locating tab.

Haven't looked inside a 12v/or VP block in a while, but I don't think its a bolt in modification to run the j-style nozzle.
ah, I don't know enough about CR's! Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
JL Builders

Name: JL Builders
Title: On a quest for more power
Member`s Gallery
I've replaced oil squirters in my CR block with just the pan removed and motor still in the truck.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
shortbusdriver

Name: shortbusdriver
Title: this guy
Member`s Gallery
I make the aluminum 12/24v oil squirters that go under the main bearing for $50 shipped. PM me if you would like a set.

Last edited by shortbusdriver; 03-09-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
fatty

Name: fatty
Title: VE
Member`s Gallery
Thanks everyone, I decided to not be cheap amd replace them. Does everyone agree I should be ok to reuse the bearings? I'm staying with the VE and will be around 400-450 hp when it goes back together.

Man, just too late shortbus. Someone else sent me a link to eBay that had billet aluminum ones for 52 bucks so I ordered those.

Seems strange to me that Cummins would put a plastic part in a rattly 12 valve. What were they thinking?!

Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
CSnyder

Name: CSnyder
Title: Snyder-Motorsports
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty View Post
Thanks everyone, I decided to not be cheap amd replace them. Does everyone agree I should be ok to reuse the bearings? I'm staying with the VE and will be around 400-450 hp when it goes back together.

Man, just too late shortbus. Someone else sent me a link to eBay that had billet aluminum ones for 52 bucks so I ordered those.

Seems strange to me that Cummins would put a plastic part in a rattly 12 valve. What were they thinking?!
Honestly bearings are damn cheap for these engines so if you go so far as to replace the piston coolers Id throw bearings at it too. The bearings are very simple to R&R.

There is a HUGE difference between cocky and confident when it comes to engine building.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #13
JWhite

Member`s Gallery
But to do things the right way, he's going to be rechecking clearances with new bearing shells. That takes time, and time is money!

Hell he might as well hone and rering then!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
VMacKenzie

Name: VMacKenzie
Member`s Gallery
fatty replacing them is a good move, I know someone who damaged a cylinder on his 2001 HO towing without excessive EGT not long ago and turns out the squirter for that cylinder was missing.

1996 Ram 2500 CC 4x4, 5-speed, DDP injectors, HX35/40 hybrid. 469,244 mile daily driver

Closed Thread