Need help with reducing weight!

Smitty256

Too Much Time
Hey guys, I need some help reducing weight on my 98 sclb 4x4 truck. I've took the toolbox out, the whole receiver hitch and rear bumper. What else could u get rid off to drop some weight. Thank for all input

Just a fun street truck and maybe some track. Not extreme but would like to drop down to around 6000

Remove sway bars, lighter wheels, remove insulation under the hood, rear seat. Front seats could be removed and replaced with racing seats.

You could build tubular cross members and transmission mounts. Ditch the spare tire mount. Like stated above lighter wheels and tires. A newer sport front bumper skin is a option.
Depends how far you want to go, but gutting the interior of all non essentials. Lose the A/C components.
What does it weigh now?

Got aluminum wheels, smaller lighter tires, remover spare and jack. Trying to find some lighter seats at the moment. Anyone else have any input?

If it's just a toy lose the tailgate.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 64.5sxe
90 d350

Last edited:
Door panels, poly carbonate rear and side windows, convert the rear brakes to discs, ditch the transfer case skid plate, fuel cell and lose the big tank, cut the bed out and just brace the sides, floor carpet.

my friends truck that was a sclb weighed in right at 6100lbs with everything in it. now my my extended cab long bed came in at 7200lbs an it took pulling all the seats other then the drives,5th wheel hitch, flat bed, an diesel tank to get it down to 6000lbs

Did you weigh the rear bumper by chance ? I plan on removing mine soon and the tail gate, spare tire and passenger side battery. Also plan on keeping less than 1/2 tank of fuel when I go to track this year. Also removing my class 5 hitch if it's not welded in

If you get a chance would you weigh it? And if you remove your tailgate . I'm curious how much they weigh. I was actually getting ready to post a question about it before I saw your thread.

How exactly do you cut the bed up? Just grinder and cutting wheel and go to town?

Ya cut the inner shell out and then use little metal dowels that branch from the frame to the bed shell. Pretty simple. Some guys just then use sheet metal to make it look better. I find that counter productive as you are adding weight but to each their own.

Back