Wait to start problems, causing starting problems.

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
Got a 99 auto 24V that runs fine when running and starts fine once warmed up and not left sitting for longer than 10 mins roughly. But if left sitting awhile and you don't let the wait to start light to go off before starting, it won't start. Here's a kicker. You turn the ignition on, all the regular lights will come on, except the WTS light. It comes on after the regulars go off. The lift pump primes when the WTS light comes on after the other lights go off too. So basically the lift pump priming and WTS light are delayed and come on when the others go out. Then truck will start right up. If you don't wait then it will not start, just cranks. Truck use to never do it. You go out when it was 20 degrees roughly and everything work normal and you could start it before the WTS light goes off. I know it's not good practice to start before WTS lights goes out, it's not my truck it's a older mans truck and he has asked me for help. Thanks in advance and if you need anymore info let me know. I have never heard of this. Lol

OK so when it cranks without starting is it rolling out white smoke?? Does it sputter or try to start or not do anything at all?

To me it sounds like something is goofy and not energizing the injection pump solenoid to allow it to go to the Run mode. It doesn't sound like a grid heater problem per se because unless it's pretty cold out (5-10F) it should start up or at least try to fire whether or not the grids are working.

Unless it's around freezing or colder I rarely wait for the WTS light, don't think it hurts it any.

Last edited:
It just cranks, doesn't even try to start. If you don't allow the WTS light to go off. It's like the lift pump prime and WTS light are delayed till the other dash lights go out. Once the truck is up to temp, you start it right up without waiting. No problems. But if it sits for longer than 10mins roughly, you have to wait for the WTS light to go out or it will not start up.

My Buddy's truck does this identical thing. Did this just start doing this? My frined's has done this since he got it.

Got a 99 auto 24V that runs fine when running and starts fine once warmed up and not left sitting for longer than 10 mins roughly. But if left sitting awhile and you don't let the wait to start light to go off before starting, it won't start. Here's a kicker. You turn the ignition on, all the regular lights will come on, except the WTS light. It comes on after the regulars go off. The lift pump primes when the WTS light comes on after the other lights go off too. So basically the lift pump priming and WTS light are delayed and come on when the others go out. Then truck will start right up. If you don't wait then it will not start, just cranks. Truck use to never do it. You go out when it was 20 degrees roughly and everything work normal and you could start it before the WTS light goes off. I know it's not good practice to start before WTS lights goes out, it's not my truck it's a older mans truck and he has asked me for help. Thanks in advance and if you need anymore info let me know. I have never heard of this. Lol

Mine does the exact same thing. Mark at Tangi diesel actually called me about it last week asking how long it's been like that. I told him for a very long time and all he said he's been able to come up with researching this very topic is a lazy ECM.

I was going to go with the ECM being bad or going that way. I wanted to see if anyone had the problem and fixed it with an ECM replacement. Didn't want to throw money at it and not fix anything. I'd say an ECM is a good bit of $$.

Ryan, he said he had cleaned and replaced some of the grounds already, cause that was one the first things I ask him. Lol.

I swaped a ecm off a buddies 99 in my 98.5 and it still did it all grounds and terminals cleaned so who knows it dont bother me anymore but if someone else drives it you have to explain the prosses to them

Hmm this is a very strange problem. If all grounds are good, batteries test good, i would unplug ecm harness check for corrosion, check for wires shorted to ground. Check wiring to ignition switch ive seen the plugin melted there.

I'd think a open ground in a relay could cause this. The whiskey is strong tonight but I'd think that if a relay was bad or had a open ground that caused it to basically work in reverse that this could happen. The WTS light circuit might be feeding current not allowing the relay to work until it goes out. Kinda like the fog lights and high beams work on a 2nd gen. And then again maybe I need another drink.

He replaced all the relays with good ones. Still does it. We are trying to locate a replacement ECM. Do any of you know where we could find a good used one or new one at a decent price?

Back