*(&*&(%^&%$( turbo

I'm not sure how Brad is modifying them but if it is a stock from Sound Performance valve you will need to grind out the center of a divided manifold or purchase an undivided manifold to run this valve. The SDX valve does not require you to grind anything or an undivided manifold. Also, last I knew the Sound Performance piece uses stainless steel for the shaft and butterfly. The SDX pieces uses inconel. Lastly, I believe they are exactly the same price. Good luck.

Yeah that's exactly why I'm lookin at gettin the SDX spool flange cause I'm currently running a t4 divided steed speed and I don't want to grind out the center.
Another question Nick? Will I be able to fit everything in there with the angled SS and the K31 without hitting the shock tower on my 3rd gen?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

The sdx valve is twice the thickness of the sound one, so I I tried to fit it in then my downpipe would have needed to be modded or it would hit.

Yeah that's exactly why I'm lookin at gettin the SDX spool flange cause I'm currently running a t4 divided steed speed and I don't want to grind out the center.
Another question Nick? Will I be able to fit everything in there with the angled SS and the K31 without hitting the shock tower on my 3rd gen?

I would expect you to have to address clearance but I'm not familiar with 3rd gen dimensions. I run a straight steed manifold and have tons of room on my 2nd gen for what its worth.

I think you would be fine atleast on a 2nd gen so long as you don't have any other spacers such as a .75" in ED gate spacer plate or equivalent but it would be close. Madmike may have some input soon given he is looking to put one of these on his stainless t4 stock angle equipped twelve valve atleast last we talked a week ago or so that was the plan.

The sdx valve is twice the thickness of the sound one, so I I tried to fit it in then my downpipe would have needed to be modded or it would hit.

That is correct. The SP valve, like the Performance Metal one I tried years ago, is around .75" thick. When grinding away at the divider like shown previously though i'm not sure how durable that design will become. Perhaps Brad can chime in with his experience with them modified in that manner.

I would expect you to have to address clearance but I'm not familiar with 3rd gen dimensions. I run a straight steed manifold and have tons of room on my 2nd gen for what its worth.

I think you would be fine atleast on a 2nd gen so long as you don't have any other spacers such as a .75" in ED gate spacer plate or equivalent but it would be close. Madmike may have some input soon given he is looking to put one of these on his stainless t4 stock angle equipped twelve valve atleast last we talked a week ago or so that was the plan.

Hmmmm Ill have to get some measurments. Oh my SS is 2nd gen style by the way. I'm really hoping that a SDX will fit because I don't want to grind the divider out of my SS

Hmmmm Ill have to get some measurments. Oh my SS is 2nd gen style by the way. I'm really hoping that a SDX will fit because I don't want to grind the divider out of my SS

Mike's issues sounded like they were due to the .75" ED gate spacer but again hopefully he will chime in.

If I grind down the valve like I did then you wouldn't have to touch the dividing part of the manifold, the manifold only had about 1/2" taken out of it.
2012-05-29_17-18-10_999.jpg

You can see how much was removed.

Last edited:
Im switching to a steed because the stainless won't allow me to clear the flange and gate spacer. It would push the s400 into the shock tower, and the compressor elbow would be jammed into the fender. If stainless made a straight flange manifold they'd work fine.

Only reason I'm switching to steed is because they make a straight flange, and they come with a gate flange. I may have to cut up my down pipe again, but it'll be worth it.

And for the record, I would never get the ED gate spacer lol. I'm sure they're overpriced. I was looking at the one from stainless at first, nice piece, and then I was looking at the one that taylor makes, and would have went with his if i could have fit the damn thing.

Im switching to a steed because the stainless won't allow me to clear the flange and gate spacer. It would push the s400 into the shock tower, and the compressor elbow would be jammed into the fender. If stainless made a straight flange manifold they'd work fine.

Only reason I'm switching to steed is because they make a straight flange, and they come with a gate flange. I may have to cut up my down pipe again, but it'll be worth it.

And for the record, I would never get the ED gate spacer lol. I'm sure they're overpriced. I was looking at the one from stainless at first, nice piece, and then I was looking at the one that taylor makes, and would have went with his if i could have fit the damn thing.

Hmmmmm so Mike do you think with my angled SS I will be able to fit one of the SDX spool flanges in there with my K31? I obvisouly don't have a gate spacer.

Hmmmmm so Mike do you think with my angled SS I will be able to fit one of the SDX spool flanges in there with my K31? I obvisouly don't have a gate spacer.

Depends on how big a k31 is, I've never seen one. If its s400 specs, then you could probably make it work, but she'll be real close to the shock tower. Mine would definitely hit when you start the motor and it torques an inch or so.

One thing I was considering was flipping the manifold to see if it would clear the hood that way. I never got it apart to check though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Depends on how big a k31 is, I've never seen one. If its s400 specs, then you could probably make it work, but she'll be real close to the shock tower. Mine would definitely hit when you start the motor and it torques an inch or so.

One thing I was considering was flipping the manifold to see if it would clear the hood that way. I never got it apart to check though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah the K31 is a 71 and I would say its similar in size to a s400.
Might have to head over to MPM's shop to see what he can fab up for me:thumbup:

If you flip the manifold u may find the downpipe hits the bottom side of the cowling where nthrope wipers are. With my thin spool flange the down pipe almost hits

If you flip the manifold u may find the downpipe hits the bottom side of the cowling where nthrope wipers are. With my thin spool flange the down pipe almost hits

How thick is your flange? You have a sound performance flange right?
I'm gonna talk to Mike tomorrow and see what he can come up with for me.

I'm not sure why people like large singles on street driven trucks... especially autos. :doh:

Why you ask. Because I like massive air flow, but I don't like the price tag and I hate even more the high psi that twins bring, so does my intercooler, silicone boots and especially my non o-ring head gasket.

Last edited:
How thick is your flange? You have a sound performance flange right?
I'm gonna talk to Mike tomorrow and see what he can come up with for me.

Me Mike?

Why you ask. Because I like massive air flow, but I don't like the price tag and I hate even more the high psi that twins bring, so does my intercooler, silicone boots and especially my non o-ring head gasket.

X2 I love that hit when it comes alive. And I like saving money.

Me Mike?

X2 I love that hit when it comes alive. And I like saving money.

No Mike Jarsembski (Monster Pump Mike)
I only live about 15mins away from him and I know he can fab something up for me.

Same here! Would love to have twins but they're expensive. One day though.

Last edited:
Just built a poppet valve to control the spool flange.have it set to open around 20psi. One of the best things I have done, my cruising temps at 1800rpm are around 800*and make around 7psi. On the break I can build 20psi with ease. Truck drives almost like my special did but really hauls the mail now.wot egts are 13-1400*.thanks to brad for the poppet idea, you're a genius man.

Back