Help with pulling technique

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I have 5 hooks, they have all been fairly good runs, especially my last 2 which were 308' and 316'.

My question is how long do you slip the clutch out? I have a SBC 3850 12CB and I slip my clutch alot more than I see other people doing so. I've watched some of the big time pullers from the Midwest and they seem to bring it up to their chosen RPM and just dump it and spin fast and hard from the get-go.

Myself, i bring it up to about 3600-3800 and start to slip the clutch and load the motor, when i see the boost needle pass the 40psi mark the truck is usually starting to move a little and it takes me about 15-20' out before my foot is all the way off the clutch, and I barely get any wheel spin off the line.

Am I doing this wrong?

I know I will be getting my clutch rebuilt/upgraded to an Iron Giant at the end of the season, but I am worried my 3850 won't make it to the end of this season with the way I launch it.

Dont look at your boost gauge. Watch your RPM's keep them maxed out while engaging the clutch.

I've seen most of your hooks on either video or in person and it dose seem like you slip it longer than most, but im not experienced with pulling with a stick, so im no pro, but i would think once you get decent boost built let out on it and she should rip$.02

I know you say dont look at the boost, but once mine gets to about 12 psi I let the clutch go, and then it hits 55psi and doent drop the rpms much at all.

Yeah you might be slippin it too much, not to critasize but to help you make your clutch last longer

when i get it back together...ill have to hook up to some dead weight (like a ford) and do some test launches in the dirt.

TJ,
Dont worry you'll come out faster with time.
Everytime you hook you'll get a little better but there will be times when it doesnt go so well.

Best thing to do is just get out there and hook.. Each time you'll get a better feel for what you are doing.

I have about 40 hooks on my truck and I still learn everytime I hook.

JW3 said:
TJ,
Dont worry you'll come out faster with time.
Everytime you hook you'll get a little better but there will be times when it doesnt go so well.

Best thing to do is just get out there and hook.. Each time you'll get a better feel for what you are doing.

I have about 40 hooks on my truck and I still learn everytime I hook.

ditto, more practice the better and faster the launch

getblown5.9 said:
when i get it back together...ill have to hook up to some dead weight (like a ford) and do some test launches in the dirt.

I'll volunteer a ford... jsut don't kick too many rocks at it :hehe:

You don't want to just dump it, but you do want to get out of it quickly less heat lets the clutch last longer. I used to point the side view mirrior down so I could see the back tire and I was fully engaged at one to one and half tire rotations. Of couse the flag man thought I was looking him :)

BBD

BigBadDodge said:
You don't want to just dump it, but you do want to get out of it quickly less heat lets the clutch last longer. I used to point the side view mirrior down so I could see the back tire and I was fully engaged at one to one and half tire rotations. Of couse the flag man thought I was looking him :)

BBD

Should I really take advice from the sneezing ford? J/K ya Scott, thanks for the tip on the mirror, might try that next time.

I have only pulled 5 times, but have yet to have a problem getting going or getting the charger lit. But I am sure I have pissed the clutch off everytime because I like to come out of the hole like the pro-street guys who run 3-4 disc clutches!

Getblown, that 64mm charger is going to light very quickly; so I wouldn't worry about getting it lit. Give it some time and a few more hooks, you'll get it down. If not, you could always buy a weighted clutch, they'll let you know when it's time to go :evil
andy

Back