rower et's

k30

what are some of the fastest runs you've seen w/ manual trannies?

i saw a vid somewhere a while ago w/ a cummins/nv5600 running 12.99.

k30 said:
no, it was a black (maybe gray-bad video) srw quad cab.
my mechanic robert p has taken his truck into the high 13's with just a set of II sticks, programmer and a clutch, thats it.........

There's a video of a signle cab 12valve dually that is red and white that ran a 12.1? with a five speed. I think it was Jeff Prince's truck and it was run in Houston??? The video is on TDR somewhere. That is the fastest I have ever heard of a manual truck running. I heard also that he switched to an auto and lowered his time.

I think it was 12.19 or something like that, but if I'm wrong let me know.

13.332 at 98 mph

Full weight Crew cab long bed. Well almost. No spare tire, but my pulling traction bars where still on. Stock engine, injectors, turbo, Mods intake, exhaust, Dual disk clutch, and EFI Live.

IIRC Jeff Prince shifted his EEP powered 12v to really low 12s before going auto.:bow:

12v Ford said:
There's a video of a signle cab 12valve dually that is red and white that ran a 12.1? with a five speed. I think it was Jeff Prince's truck and it was run in Houston??? The video is on TDR somewhere. That is the fastest I have ever heard of a manual truck running. I heard also that he switched to an auto and lowered his time.

I think it was 12.19 or something like that, but if I'm wrong let me know.

I've seen Jeff's truck run in the 11's with a five speed. That's the same truck that ran a 10.33 @ 136 with an automatic at the DHRA Nats in Houston. Jeff is from Corpus and that dually gets seen driving around town from time to time.

I'd like hot rod a manual in the future. I think if done right, it could prove to be quicker than an auto.

Retard the timing and set the limiter at the launch RPM on one side of the DSP2 switch, then put a microswitch on the clutch, or intercept the clutch-in signal to the ECM, it switches to the "real" tune.

Say you want to launch at 3000rpm, you essentially mat it and it will sit at 3000rpm as long as the clutch is in. The retarded timing will help spool the charger a bit for you anytime the clutch is pressed.

When it's time to shift, you will not release the accelerator, since when you push in the clutch, it will automatically defuel to unload the gears.

Would it work? Dunno. Be fun to try!

This may sound odd, but how do you hot rodders "shift"

What I mean is this: Do you launch hard, slam it up to redline, smash the clutch through the floorboard, smack your hand on the dash from grabbing the next gear so hard, and then completely dump the clutch like you stepped on a tack..

Or, do you clutch, shift, and slowely let the clutch back out?

I know what I rod hard, it feels like something is going to eventually let go. :)

Haven't done the ZF-6 yet, but here's what I do with the vette (T56):

First gear at the tree, 4500-6500 depending on track condition and tires.

On the third yellow, throttle to the floor and let the clutch out for about 30' keeping RPM up to at least 5000 min. Thumb on top of the shifter, pull back HARD holding pressure.

At an indicated 6800 (about 7100 real life), I stab the clutch to the floor rapidly, and to save the trans, I back the throttle to 1/2 throttle for an instant, which also stops it from banging the limiter. The lever will click into gear in a split second and when done right, the nose will not dip down.

Now I open my hand, palm towards the radio, and PUSH. Do not wrap your hand around it. The springs in the gate will aim it for you. When you stab the clutch again (6900) it will pop into gear.

Turn your hand upside down, thumb towards the floor and pull back hard. When you stab the clutch, it will pop into 4th.

Rinse, repeat.

You cannot "pull" the trans outta gear on a stock transmission. By preloading it with force, and applying the force in a perfect direction (hand position) you will never miss a shift. You do not HAVE to lift the throttle, but I have not found it to be quicker, and the trans will click better if the engine is unloaded and not riding the limiter.

Do you stab pop the clutch or stab ease out?

Or:

How long (approx of course) does it take to go from fully engauged (out) to disengauged (in) and back out again?

Whats up guys been pokin around here awhile good site!! I've done the three footed boosted launch like Johnboy build up about 15psi boost in 4hi 2nd gear,but its hard for me to do all that and hit the light right and I have'nt found a way to bump the light with a 6spd, Can someone explain how a line lock works and could it be used with a 6spd to bump the light like you do with powerbraking an auto? Thanks Tim

I've only used a line lock for heating the tires. You push on the brake pedal, hit the line lock button, then release the brake, and the front tires are still locked until you turn off the switch.

All it is is a solenoid that blocks the hyd lines on the brakes. Costs about $150. When the switch is on, no brake fluid can pass thru the line.

It would be kinda dangerous to use one for staging a stick shift though unless you had a fool-proof way to shut it off as you launch. If it did not "release" or it accidentially came back on, you would have trouble.

MD-LUCKY said:
Do you stab pop the clutch or stab ease out?

Or:

How long (approx of course) does it take to go from fully engauged (out) to disengauged (in) and back out again?

At least on cars and bikes, you must "slip" the clutch to launch. Dumping the clutch on the line will break parts on a car and will flip a bike.

When you shift going down the track, you do it as fast as is humanly possible. You do not ride the clutch unless you've short-shifted and need to get back into the powerband.

So in your opinion is there a better way of doing a boosted launch with a stick shift other than 2 footing 3 pedals?

Back