Cams

Soup Nazi

The artist formerly known as Don M
Still working on new grinds, but have targeted some profound changes for the 03-04 CR and the 12V.

The old Helix 2 is still pretty good in the 04.5 - 07, but we found some tweaks there as well. One would have to kill one of my testers to get the new cam back out of his engine. LOL Still a few months out on release.

The original Helix 2 cams are in stock though. Sold 10 before I even opened the crate.

Awesome! Lets roll baby!

Gimme a few weeks to get the new grind dialed in and I will send it over.

Don- could you tell me (PM if needed) the specs on the Helix2? I am primarily looking for the degrees of valve overlap, I think you said the LSA is 110.3*. Thanks!

Mike is pretty close. It is spec'd to be -24.4 and his may have measured the -22.1.

For comparison:
The stock Cummins marine is -25.6 degrees Overlap
The stock Cummins 24VP is -33.4 degrees Overlap

The Helix 2 has changed a bunch now anyway, so we are talking the older grind from 2004-2005 time frame in this thread.

All the cams are the original Helix 2. The new grind is not very well distributed yet. Only a handful have it.

Actually there may be one or two more tweaks before final release of the new grind.

Mike is pretty close. It is spec'd to be -24.4 and his may have measured the -22.1.

For comparison:
The stock Cummins marine is -25.6 degrees Overlap
The stock Cummins 24VP is -33.4 degrees Overlap

The Helix 2 has changed a bunch now anyway, so we are talking the older grind from 2004-2005 time frame in this thread.

What's the overlap on a stock Cummins (non marine) 12 valve cam?

Darn - my lobe profiles are scattered a degree or two around Don's numbers... time to either get my sliderule recalibrated or update the prescription on my monocle! :hehe:

FWIW BigBlue, my spreadsheet shows -22.5*... Don?

Don, i purchased an older Helix 2 from Tim Barber for my 03 motor, it has never been used, is there any way i can send it in to u to have it reground to the new specs or would i have to sell mine and purchase a new one?

Back