Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #11541
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Adam, I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but there are several medium duty freightiners around central Texas. May be worth a look if you're ever that way.

02'FL70 Freightliner
Chassis wise this..
TruckPaper.com | 1998 FREIGHTLINER FL60 For Sale
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor
Old 10-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #11542
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Repowering was in relation to putting an engine in that has most likely have parts on the shelf...
As for turbo swap.
It doesn't get much easier than this
Click the image to open in full size.
Uh... have you ever opened the hood of a class 8 truck vs a medium duty?

I replaced a tappet cover gasket on a 5.9 in a Ford medium duty truck for a guy. It was a pain in the a$$ to get to the back of the motor. I can't imagine an 8.3 or a Cat 3100 series.

I've seen many of the medium duty trucks come in to a friends shop. I wouldn't even want to attempt working on one. You have to take the steer tires off or take everything off the top of the motor and work over top of the engine to do almost any thing to the motor.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #11543
malibu795

Member`s Gallery
Yes... And I dislike cab forward designed trucks when wrenching... Including my LMM
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #11544
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
What's goin in its place? 2250's suck. Nice lookin rig
C18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
I still don't see the cummins hate. We don't see problems if people take care of them

Like we've said before. Your living in a dream world. But your not alone you sound exactly like the guys at Ohio Cat. They will swear they don't have issues either. KW salesman told my dad they don't see many Paccar MX issues either. All total company BS.

How does someone "take care" of the junk ass EGR coolers? How do you stop the Chinese valves from breaking? Cummins had valve issues with the BigCam and they're using the same chit quality they had in the 80's. They have one job and that's to build engines, you would think they would've figured it out by now.

KW of Dayton doing engine swaps for Dayton Freight. Some of those have block windows. We're not making this up.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 10-27-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #11545
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
I love them. They keep us quite busy. Rusted out ISX pans, every fitting on the engine crumbling to nothing on them, EGR valves, camshafts/cam bearings, and obviously turbochargers. Get more ISX specific calls than all other brands combined. I love it. The dealers are where half of the problems come from for the owners. "Well I don't know if my turbo is bad but the dealer has replaced every sensor, the wiring harness, the egr valve, and now they are telling me the turbo is bad." That statement is far too common from customers. Dealers run up a $5000+ bills diagnosing an ISX and people tend to hate them.

See that's the problem. I can have that truck in and out in 3 hours after watching a log. And a few simple checks. These engines are not hard. People are just dumb. I have never seen a rusted out oil pan. And I'm a firm believer cams are 100% due to Oil change intervals. Crazy how it can be so hit or miss in some areas. I do think these engines need to come to distributors. Not dealers.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #11546
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
C18

Like we've said before. Your living in a dream world. But your not alone you sound exactly like the guys at Ohio Cat. They will swear they don't have issues either. KW salesman told my dad they don't see many Paccar MX issues either. All total company BS.

How does someone "take care" of the junk ass EGR coolers? How do you stop the Chinese valves from breaking? Cummins had valve issues with the BigCam and they're using the same chit quality they had in the 80's. They have one job and that's to build engines, you would think they would've figured it out by now.

KW of Dayton doing engine swaps for Dayton Freight. Some of those have block windows. We're not making this up.

What engines do you work on? 2250 and 2350? If your referring to 870 and 871. Engine from 6+ years ago. Yes they had cooler problems. Almost 100% failure rate . I bet I have seen 5 2350 Coolers bad. It's not common. Same with new Egr valves. It's not common on new idx stuff. I do agree the machining on our valves and the valves are junk. Complete junk. The fuel pumps used to be junk, not so bad with updates and clean oil.
They all have problems but I just don't see what you guys do. Wish I could. Might change how things are built.
Your local to columbus kinda Arnt you?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #11547
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
I'm not a cummins hater, my truck has cm871 in it, making quite a bit more power than from the factory, with very few issues. I do hate the 2250's though, more problems by far than any other engine I deal with. Pump issues, injector issues, liner fretting,ect, ect, ect. In a fleet of 65 trucks, the cm2250s years cost of operation are far higher than anything else. None of the issue I mentioned are from poor maintenance.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #11548
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
A decent size fleet here in town hasn't had one isux make it out of warranty without needing at least an in frame. They have 25 or 30 of them and the maintenance is top notch. They've been considering buying freightliners to go back to Detroit. They actually had 2 huck rods out the side under 20,000 MI, so the maintenance never even mattered.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by chevota84; 10-27-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #11549
stkdram55

Name: stkdram55
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
C18

That white truck in the back ground I'm very familiar with the name on the side...have about 8 trucks right now going thru the oil consumption analysis for repeat 2754 codes...carbon packing, liner lobing etc
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #11550
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
What engines do you work on? 2250 and 2350? If your referring to 870 and 871. Engine from 6+ years ago. Yes they had cooler problems. Almost 100% failure rate . I bet I have seen 5 2350 Coolers bad. It's not common. Same with new Egr valves. It's not common on new idx stuff. I do agree the machining on our valves and the valves are junk. Complete junk. The fuel pumps used to be junk, not so bad with updates and clean oil.
They all have problems but I just don't see what you guys do. Wish I could. Might change how things are built.
Your local to columbus kinda Arnt you?

All of them, had some dealer fresh with under 20k miles. Guys are sick of the dealer/distributor crap. Have seen a bunch of 2250's with broken valves. Then they changed to the horrible anti polish ring liners so when a guy has a valve issue and needs one hole he has to do all 6. Not to mention the turbo that eats the valve so now he's pushing $20k for a valve Cummins should have got figured out in the 50's. I had an N14 that did the same thing in the early 2000's and Cummins again changed designs so I was going to have to buy all 3 heads. Thanks to a junkyard I got the one it needed. Will Bridgeway give a guy the option of getting a used head or just make the guy buy 3?

I'm not a fan of used or junkyard parts but these engines have got people about broke. Every repair is 3+ days and at least $4k. Paccar and I'm sure Cummins is the same, are using the customer for R&D. If you take a Paccar powered truck into a dealer and they know exactly what's wrong with it they still have to go down the checklist. This list takes a good day to preform and guess who pays for that time, you do! So a simple sensor costs you hours of shop labor. They all put out a turd just to see how it flushes. Not all engine issues are maintenance related. Not changing oil does not cause this. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

There is a reason you don't see an ISX on the front of a sled. And it's not because you can't get power out of them. It's because they don't live.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #11551
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

It's nothing personal to you 97rada. I'm glad someone like you that actually believes in the product you work on, works at Cummins. And given the current engine choices available in a truck Cummins wins hands down. The issue is they're not trying to be the best, they're just trying to be slightly better than the others. The S60 Detroit was the last good engine Detroit has made. The DD15/DD13's are steaming piles. Pull the valve covers and you think your working on a Civic. The Maxxforce isn't worth using as a boat anchor but neither are the trucks they're in. The Paccar MX is my 2nd choice. Seem to be pretty reliable and power is good once the junk is removed. If your buying a new truck the Cummins is the turd with the best aftertaste.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #11552
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's nothing personal to you 97rada. I'm glad someone like you that actually believes in the product you work on, works at Cummins. And given the current engine choices available in a truck Cummins wins hands down. The issue is they're not trying to be the best, they're just trying to be slightly better than the others. The S60 Detroit was the last good engine Detroit has made. The DD15/DD13's are steaming piles. Pull the valve covers and you think your working on a Civic. The Maxxforce isn't worth using as a boat anchor but neither are the trucks they're in. The Paccar MX is my 2nd choice. Seem to be pretty reliable and power is good once the junk is removed. If your buying a new truck the Cummins is the turd with the best aftertaste.
I hadn't heard as much about the new Detroit. What's happening with them?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #11553
malibu795

Member`s Gallery
Your conversations is just more reason to run a mechanical engine
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #11554
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
I'm thinking I'm glad I have an E model and I'm even glad I have an MBN C15...damn!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #11555
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Did you miss the part about the Big Cam having valve issues? The fuel system doesn't change the parts inside. Just if you choose to use an antique engine you will pay more for parts and wait longer to get them. A cam for an 855 is twice what a new engine cam is and you'll wear out a greyhound bus trying to find one.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #11556
Rig Wrench

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Very well said. I'm not biased towards any particular brand, I remember how much the Acert was hated at first. When electronics came out early on they weren't exactly looked at as great like they are now.I'm very with my 871, just took some "unique" programming to get it just right. Cat has they're own set of issues as well, as most of you guys know. The Cm 2250 is a special kind of pos, not that many of the problems aren't rectifiable, its jus when those problems arise, it's often too late
Old 10-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #11557
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post

Horrible to work on. Rear gear in a conventional truck. Air compressor change is an 8hr job if you know what your doing. Cam shafts are pipes with lobes welded on. Real pos. If you overhaul one and don't prime the oil system with a pump they spin bearings. Click the image to open in full size.

Looks heavy duty doesn't it? Lmao
Old 10-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #11558
Rig Wrench

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post

Probly junk too, have 5 supposed to be here after first of he year. I'm NOT confident at all, but after the cm2250 nightmare the boss wanted to try something different.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #11559
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
I'm thinking I'm glad I have an E model and I'm even glad I have an MBN C15...damn!

Chris

This is the biggest issue I've had out of an 800+HP C15 with a driver in it for the last 2 yrs. Click the image to open in full size.

A W9 with external air cleaners makes this about a 20min fix.

Would take hours to find the valve cover in a IH with a Maxxforce. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #11560
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Flat bed Semi - $7800
Flat bed Semi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk