Piston Coatings

You can teflon coat bearings, wrist pins on pistons, and rocker arms, piston skirts, bottom side of head can be ceramic coated (only the firing chamber around valves) and top of pistons ceramic coated. If your trying to make stock pistons as good as you can get, cryo treat them as well.

Did my pistons with techline products. Piston tops got cbx ceramic coating, sides skirts got a high build then a dry film lubricant.
36067b55a08c8957bba1448b0a1a64ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve heard nothing but good things about microblue for bearing surfaces and/or anything with friction.

Heard a lot of good things about polydyn. I plan to use them on mine. There website pricing sheet is a bit weird for automotive diesel.

If you need I can PM you the email with specific prices they sent me.

Last edited:
Ceramic on top, and hard anodize the piston. Those are the only things that last from my experience. I've never had a skirt coating that didn't come off. Calico Coatings in Denver, NC do excellent work, prices and turn around time

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Are there true benifits to coating tops of pistons? How many people have actually melted a piston or experienced piston failure that could have been prevented with coatings?

Are there true benifits to coating tops of pistons? How many people have actually melted a piston or experienced piston failure that could have been prevented with coatings?

From what I understand it is more about getting a better more complete combustion on the tops.

The skirt coatings are about longevity.

Heat rejection @ duty cycle. The (crown) coating lowers heat absorption for the piston, allowing it to maintain duty cycle longer without the crown deforming.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ceramic on top, and hard anodize the piston. Those are the only things that last from my experience. I've never had a skirt coating that didn't come off. Calico Coatings in Denver, NC do excellent work, prices and turn around time

Average, how long did they last in your experience?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I always have pulled the motor down to checking bearings and rings at the end of every season, even if there's no signs of fatigue. My seasons average 30-50 hooks. The skirt coatings never made it a whole season, they had usually come off right under the bottom ring land and in random spots along the skirt. PTW was adequate for application.

Contagious Diesel in Mayville WI did mine. Not sure which brand he uses. They looked perfect and I think it was about $200. A shame to put them in their holes.

B9BDEA32-E452-4162-9FC0-22ED5025FBE7_zpswxaeksji.jpg

DD0A7FFE-B9F6-4D9C-86E3-23899ED2409E_zpsche27um1.jpg

Last edited:
Contagious Diesel in Mayville WI did mine. Not sure which brand he uses. They looked perfect and I think it was about $200. A shame to put them in their holes.

Thank you for the shout out but just to let everyone know I am no longer coating pistons. The preparation and time that I put into these to make them turn out decent is a pain in the butt and I do not enjoy doing them. So I have decided to turn piston coating work down from now on except for my personal stuff.

Back