Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel

Parts have begun to arrive. Sending out the ECU today to have it worked on. I will report my findings when all complete, should be after Thanksgiving since I am out of town for work all next week.

Got the updated ECU in and the new exhaust installed. Still have to do the EGR cooler delete and get the DEF tank out. I hope by the end of this weekend to be done with it and ready to drive it again.

My business partner has one with 20k on it. It is starting to make some pretty awful noises when accelerating. Idles smooth and cruising it is smooth. It sounds like a dam wrist pin is shot. Any new problems people know of with these?

Got the EGR cooler removed yesterday. The hoses for the coolant lines are coming from the front of the motor are impossible to remove the existing clamp because FCA decided to use a metal crimp style that has to be cut off and you can not get to it without removing the alternator so I just spliced the line and extended it to get it reconnected with the delete kit from H&S.

On Sunday I will get to drive it and make sure there are no leaks and see how it runs.

When I took off the EGR pipe going into the intake that was a mess and I spent a little while trying the best I could to get the oil sludge out of the intake. Going to have to completely remove the intake and properly clean the intake when I have a few days off.

Update on my business partners truck: engine is trashed. Working with the dealer to get out of it and into a one ton now.

Drove it to work today, all gauge readings were withing spec on the way down. Since mother nature decided to make it wet this morning and just above freezing I did not get to test it out very much, but so far I like it. The jury is still out on the exhaust note though. I wish FTE made a 3" resonator, not sure how a 4" would work in a full 3" system.

Do you know what caused it?

No. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like we ever will. I think the dealer is going to work with him on a 1 ton to replace it. Not too keen on keeping it at this point. It was a great truck, though. Knowing when to walk away is oftentimes the hardest part.

Just an update. Thrust bearing failed and was flaking. Dodge is installing a brand new engine.

I have over 1500 miles on it, runs great, picked up 2.5 MPG according to the lie o meter. The turbo braking only works when in tow haul mode, which is nice, and it does a great job. If you are above the 50k mark and start loosing coolant delete the POS and enjoy not having to deal with the emissions crap. That being said it does take a little while longer to heat up in the morning.

Total cost was about 1700, and that was calling in a few favors on parts pricing, retail should have been about 2k. The dealer wanted $1350 to do the EGR cooler replacement, and I deleted that and 100% of the exhaust crap. The cost difference is about what I would have spent in DEF in the next 75k miles.

I now have straight pipe off the turbo all the way back, no muffler, resonator, DEF, exhaust burner, etc. I think it probably took a good 150 to 200 pounds off the truck getting all of that crap off. Exhaust note is nice, but hearing the VGT moving makes me think of new Fords.

Last edited:
I have over 1500 miles on it, runs great, picked up 2.5 MPG according to the lie o meter. The turbo braking only works when in tow haul mode, which is nice, and it does a great job. If you are above the 50k mark and start loosing coolant delete the POS and enjoy not having to deal with the emissions crap. That being said it does take a little while longer to heat up in the morning.

Total cost was about 1700, and that was calling in a few favors on parts pricing, retail should have been about 2k. The dealer wanted $1350 to do the EGR cooler replacement, and I deleted that and 100% of the exhaust crap. The cost difference is about what I would have spent in DEF in the next 75k miles.

I now have straight pipe off the turbo all the way back, no muffler, resonator, DEF, exhaust burner, etc. I think it probably took a good 150 to 200 pounds off the truck getting all of that crap off. Exhaust note is nice, but hearing the VGT moving makes me think of new Fords.

Glad to hear it's going good. What's your combined city/hwy/work average MPG now?

What parts did you use?

Back