Pics of homemade transmission stands

SCHMITTY

Not enough time
Looking for ideas . Im tired of building these on the floor or having to pick semi built units up off the bench or cart. I'm also limited on tool funds this time of year but I have time , an old Lincoln 220 and a nice collection of steel - angle, plate, pipe , channel, and uninstrut ( a little uglier than I care for).

I'd like to mount it in one of my stands and be able to mount it onto the end of my bench.

Here is a pic of a adapter. Probably a little fancier than I can fab.

Attachments

• IMG_7784.PNG
    IMG_7784.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Here's a pic of another one I found online. It's a little more my skill level

Attachments

• IMG_7785.PNG
    IMG_7785.PNG
    721.3 KB · Views: 0
I had a screenshot of one I stole off of firepunks Facebook at one time. It was a horse shoe shape peice of tubing that allowed it to pivot I believe. Looked simple to make but it's all you'd need,ill see if I can't find it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here you go. Simple enough
67a4d4309eb5c59b83738c9898a1bd4e.jpg

Get a cheap engine stand, some pipe and some angle iron. Weld the angle iron into a 3 sided rectangle that will bolt to the face of transmission(the bellhousing face), attach it to the pipe. Done! Built one years ago just out or scrap metal. You will want to try to center the pipe around the central weight of the transmission to make it easier to rotate.

Last edited:
Get a cheap engine stand, some pipe and some angle iron. Weld the angle iron into a 3 sided rectangle that will bolt to the face of transmission(the bellhousing face), attach it to the pipe. Done! Built one years ago just out or scrap metal. You will want to try to center the pipe around the central weight of the transmission to make it easier to rotate.

Trans hangs horizontally from bellhousing bolts? I considered that way but i was concerned about it being too much.

Here is what I made, have had th400's and 47re's both on it and works fine, can rotate all you want. Just used an engine stand and made an adapter that bolts onto the stand's engine mount.

30182673705_20ee044b51_b.jpg

Here is what I made, have had th400's and 47re's both on it and works fine, can rotate all you want. Just used an engine stand and made an adapter that bolts onto the stand's engine mount.

I like that ,nice and simple

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like this idea but make it so when you rotate it you can make the valve body side of the trans face up. Can you rotate the trans 90 degrees and still be able to bolt it up?

I like this idea but make it so when you rotate it you can make the valve body side of the trans face up. Can you rotate the trans 90 degrees and still be able to bolt it up?

Mine is like this.

The bell housing setup looks easy enough. I do want to be able to turn so the vb is facing up. I feel like I would have a harder time installing the vb at a vertical angle , dropping bolts down into the overdrive lol

I like the pic Naked Diesel posted.

My mount only bolted to the bench and then attached to four of the pan bolts. Never had an issue with installing a valve body in the vertical position.

I really don't see a need for a mount to put the vb facing up to install it. I've put mine in and out from the side 10 or 20 times over the last few years without loosing a bolt in the od unit. The bigger pita is the the park linkage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The park rod is always hit or miss for me. I'd say 75% of the time it's a pia. I pulled a vb for a kid last night (trying to help him get od back) and getting the rod back in took 10 minutes

The park rod is always hit or miss for me. I'd say 75% of the time it's a pia. I pulled a vb for a kid last night (trying to help him get od back) and getting the rod back in took 10 minutes
Try having somebody spinning the rear wheels while putting the rod in. Works everytime

Try having somebody spinning the rear wheels while putting the rod in. Works everytime

I typically just rotate the output shaft someway, either rocking the truck, or spinning by hand. Depending on the situation.

Ditto, that's what I do as well to get rod in place, rock the output back and forth and stand on one foot with my tongue hanging out the side.... to get it just right.

Back