S363 turbo or nozzles

fastbee

Currently have a stock BW S366 charger on my 6.7. Only fueling mods are EFI LIVE by Ryan Milliken. I've posed this question on CF, but didn't get any real answers. Ryan has really helped my low end spooling with the tuning, but I still wonder if this was the right setup for me. I spent some time at my buddy's shop over the weekend and drove several 5.9's (I know they are different, bear with me) of varying mod levels. Only one had a stock turbo, most had small turbo upgrades and one had what he called a big upgrade (66mm). The smaller turbos spooled fast and made good power, the 66 was a dog...smoky and slow to spool but made alot more power. I've spoke to a couple of local folks who have some experience with the 6.7, they say I need more fuel to light turbo quicker. So here is where I'm at: add nozzles and possibly need cp3 upgrade and a lift pump or move down to a S363 turbo. My truck is a DD, with no plans of competing in anything. I like to have a little fun with some burnouts and donuts occasionally but that's it. Maximum power is not my goal (although it would be nice to tell folks I have a 500+ hp truck). I also want the truck as clean as possible. The primary reasons I went away from the stocker were the DP and EGT issues. If I go with the S363, can I "reuse" my exhaust side housing (.91, T4 divided) or will that make it slower to spool? With no additional fueling, will I need a WG of any kind and what should I expect as far as DP and EGTs? On the nozzles, I'm sure Ryan can tune out the smoke, but will the extra fuel really help? Will the other fueling mods be needed? I apologize for the long post, but I'm just looking for as many suggestions as possible before I make a move...or don't, who knows.

Keep 66. You'll regret going smaller. Get nozzles and maybe retuned, you'll love it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Where are you located at?

Im practically IN sea level, but, I can spool my S467/83 .90 quite well with a set of 90 DDP's.

Unless your in the clouds, that S366 should spool on stock fuel. Id give it more fuel before dropping a charger size.

Keep 66. You'll regret going smaller. Get nozzles and maybe retuned, you'll love it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

He is right. I changed tuning/tuners and tunes many times before I settled on what is right for ME.... Al least for a little while anyway..

When I had a box bw366, (66/73.91) I could make 10 psi just by flicking the throttle at any rpm when I finally got it tuned right. With average tuning it would smoke and lag until it came alive... With proper tuning, it blows the tires off and there is less smoke throughout...... This was on a completely stock fuel system.......

$.02

I can spool it, just not as fast as the stocker or apparently the SB66. The latest revision on the tuning helped a lot, now it starts coming on at about 1700 rpm instead of 2100. I guess I just don't load the engine enough, the lower gears won't boost as much as the high ones. Part throttle was my biggest complaint before but it's some better now...gotta get with Ryan again for some small tweaks. 3rd gear is a dog, but once I get to 4th the thing is ready to rock and roll. I ordered an intake horn yesterday...my buddy said he has noticed the 6.7s seem to like them more than the 5.9s. Last one he installed improved spool by 200 RPMs with no other changes with stock fueling and a SB66. I'll see what it does...might just have to suck it up and get some sticks and a lift pump.

My buddies truck is running an arson kit, 90s , and a box BW366. Starts to see boost around 1500 rpm.

I agree...more fuel!!

Back