New Twins 40/3B and high EGTs

What is considered lit? :ft: Other than me last saturday. LOL It has to be working at least some or my boost would be less, right?

dodge359 said:
What is considered lit? :ft: Other than me last saturday. LOL It has to be working at least some or my boost would be less, right?
You could hook a boost guage to the 3b and see if it is indeed boosting when your 40 wastegate opens. Just drill and tap the compressor hausing near the flange one the 3b. This should shed some light on how your wastegate is operating and how the 3b is performing.

Forrest Nearing said:
if your 40 is still set up to make 45psi, that bottom charger only needs to make about 10psi to peg that gauge

How much should the bottom charger be pushing when you get it wound up?

I have been thinking of wiring a switch to my 40 (Temporarily) that turns on a light when the w/g opens. I figured this was there is no guessing involved.

What is the "Happy spot" on the 3Bs? Does anybody know know how to figure boost scenarios?

Last edited:
dodge359 said:
I am in the process of putting a fitting in the cold pipe. Is that what you mean?
Yes then you should see your boost gauges mirror them selves arould 25 to 30psi if things are working correctly.

Mike G said:
Yes then you should see your boost gauges mirror them selves arould 25 to 30psi if things are working correctly.

Why would they be the same. Doesnt the secondary compress the air further? Man, Im lost:bang

The needle on the gauge in the cold pipe should match the movement of the needle in the manifold. When the cold pipe psi climbs, the other gauge should climb. If not, adjust your wastegate lower. Tweak your wastegate until the needles move in sync with each other when the boost hits. For example, the secondary shouldn't show 30psi before the primary (cold pipe) moves off of zero.

joefarmer said:
When the cold pipe psi climbs, the other gauge should climb. If not, adjust your wastegate lower.

This isn't neccessarily true. If the wastegate is set too light the loss of proper compounding by the secondary can actually cause the total boost to drop after the initial spike while the primary boost continues to climb.

Idaho CTD said:
This isn't neccessarily true. If the wastegate is set too light the loss of proper compounding by the secondary can actually cause the total boost to drop after the initial spike while the primary boost continues to climb.
Thanks! I didn't realize it was possible to set the secondary wastegate too light.

Still havent got the boost gauge in the cold pipe but the 3B is lighting, it blew the cold pipe right off the 40 and destroyed the clamp. OOPS.:doh:

I fabbed up some supports for the cold pipe so it doesnt blow off. Now the silicone only has to deal with boost and not holding it all together. I installed the second boost gauge in the cold pipe and we are raring to go. I have done a few pulls with the w/m and a few on nitrous. I dont think I have big enough pills in now as I cant feel the difference and its not cooling it down.

The 3b starts to light at about 1700 rpms and is pushing 28psi by 2800rpms. I still cant get the flutter out of the wastegate but I still have a little more room to play on the actuator. I will be in the market for a 26cm housing soon. The one I have is a 28cm i think (Casting is hard to read).

The wierd thing about the set up is that I show no boost until about 1500rpms on either gauge. But the truck isnt doggy. I thought the boost line was pinched or something so I changed it out and there is no difference.:blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

good info

i am in the middle of installing a B-1 B-2 kit and will post everything on it as soon as i get her up and running

keep us up dated on your set-up

Scott

Back