Auto to Manual swap 98.5 & 2002

Turbonetics TQ

Turbonetics Turbochargers
I am looking for a little guidance, and/or suggestions.
The swap will happen between a 98.5 manual and a 2002 auto.

So the 98.5 will be going Manual to Auto
The 2002 will be going Auto to Manual.

Both trucks need to be up and running afterwards.
I have done a lot of reading on the subject and a few items that I could not get clarified are as follows:

-Engine ECM: Will the 98.5 manual ECM need to be reprogrammed?
*if so, is this something the Dodge dealer can do?

-Gauge cluster: The 98.5 will need the PRND indicator, can it be swapped from the 02 so the mileage stays correct for the truck. (or does the entire cluster need swapped)

-Wiring harness: I know I will need the PCM/trans harness' swapped, but will the PDM (fuse box) stay in each truck?

I have a pretty firm grasp on all the main items required to swap the transmissions so I am not asking about all that. BUT if there is something you have run in to while completing this procedure PLEASE let me know.

Thank you,

I don’t think the 02’ pcm can run the 98.5. Something about the early 24v does or doesn’t have a cam or crank sensor. The 02 auto ecm/pcm won’t care that the auto trans is missing, at least my 01’ could care less. Anyone with a good scanner should be able to reprogram the odometer. The autel does. I assume both trucks are the same body style otherwise you’ll be making driveshafts .

But if the 98.5 is rear wheel abs only, the 02 is 4 wheel abs it wont fly. The 98.5 is a differnt tranny harness setup compared to the 99-02 too.

Back