Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel

Awesome! Let us know what kind of mileage it gets. HAND CALCULATED

This was the fuel gauge after 16x mile ride home. Dealership filled it up and needle was not past full mark.
866ECF97-3640-4B36-BB26-9BC65452ACA9_zpsthbohfng.jpg

I'll be tickled with mid 20's hand calc. Speedo was dead on with GPS.

At least your listening to a good channel on the satellite radio.

Brietbart and Wilkow for the ride home.

I heard the grand Cherokees with the diesels were expensive to maintain. I read on a forum somewhere but maybe someone else can chime in.

Bear in mind that the "expensive to maintain" comment is coming from fellas that are use to the cheap maintenance of spark engines. There is a large population of people that can't see past how expensive an oil change is. I'm sure that this engine doesn't require much different maintenance then any other diesel engine running today.

A friend of mine just came home with one last week. He's been searching the NW for a while. Finally had to drive down to Oregon to pick one up. Fully loaded crew cab SB in white. It's at the paint shop right now getting silver added to the bottom portion so I wasn't able to check it out. He loves pretty much everything about it so far. He's a die hard Chevy guy. Cars, trucks, SUV's, sports cars etc have always been Chevy (He goes through cars on a regular basis). He made the jump after driving another friends just once. His only complaint is a hesitation between 1-2k (turbo lag I assume). No idea if there is any kind of programming out there yet to help that out any.

A friend of mine just came home with one last week. He's been searching the NW for a while. Finally had to drive down to Oregon to pick one up. Fully loaded crew cab SB in white. It's at the paint shop right now getting silver added to the bottom portion so I wasn't able to check it out. He loves pretty much everything about it so far. He's a die hard Chevy guy. Cars, trucks, SUV's, sports cars etc have always been Chevy (He goes through cars on a regular basis). He made the jump after driving another friends just once. His only complaint is a hesitation between 1-2k (turbo lag I assume). No idea if there is any kind of programming out there yet to help that out any.

I haven't driven one yet, but my guess would be the lag is an attempt at controlling emissions/smoke and keeping the tranny happy... No real reason for a modern VGT diesel to have lag...

Well,

I filled the truck up today for the first time and a few observations.

1. The truck was not fully filled up from the dealer like they said. When I left the dealer the needle was on the full mark.

After filling up today, needle was past full mark. Oh well.

2. After back and forth to work a few times this past week and running around town the EVIC average mileage was reading 25.7 mpg.

3. Here's the interesting part. I reset the trip meter at the dealer on what I "thought" was a topped off tank.

I had 262 miles on the trip meter this morning at the pump. The truck took 10.3 gallons to pump shutoff. Hand calculated 25.4 mpg.

So, in all actuality the truck did better than 25.4 mpg. The next fill up will tell.

I also have noticed the lag off the bottom and hopefully that will just be throttle learning curve.

I will admit that I was taken back by the hydraulic hose end gas cap and having to use the little funnel when putting in anything in the filler hole aside from the fuel pump.

Still thoroughly tickled with the truck and feel it will be a fantastic road tripper. My main reason for purchasing this.

interesting....... seems like a blowby to me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCX0M98BQ2g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCX0M98BQ2g[/ame]

Hmm, seems like a catch can would have been added from the factory since he is getting that much per week. But that being said, very few properly maintain their vehicles anymore, if there was a catch can you had to empty every 1000 miles or something like that no one would do it.

I would say that a ccv filter that drains back to the block would help with that. Never liked the vent to the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel with the 3.0 Mercedes motor "had" the same problem because the factory setup routed crank case gases to the inlet of the turbo.

Some add a catch can and keep the inlet in-tact, some add a draft tube and let the gasses vent to atmosphere: Elephant Hose Mod.

One the Mercedes, if you keep the factory setup long term, the Charge Air Cooler will eventually get 1-2 quarts of oil built up in the bottom and lower cooler efficiency, I imagine if things went on for several hundred thousand miles, you could get enough oil for a short term run-away.

Easy to modify and add a catch can or draft tube.

Roger just claimed 28 on the trip to my brothers wedding. I can't see it being too far off a hand calculated figure. But I'll have to see if he has done that yet. If that's the case, those things are getting REALLY tempting...

You do realize that that's only roughly $250/month in savings right? Not nearly enough to offset the payment. Unless you pay cash and then maybe it's worth it.

Back