Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:27 PM   #1
ADaniel4573

Name: ADaniel4573
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Opinions on Edison Motors

For those of you who are unaware, there is a company that started up a couple years ago called Edison Motors. The owner of the company has a YouTube channel and a lot more information can be learned there but more or less Edison Motors focuses on taking older heavy duty trucks and converting them to a diesel electric platform. Recently they have released that in 2025 they will be releasing a conversion kit for converting older pickup trucks to a diesel electric platform. It gives you everything you need from the diesel electric generator all the way to to the electric axles.

In my opinion, I think this is badass. It's one of the smartest ways I have seen by far for handling the idea of EV trucks. I've been keeping my eye on Edison motors for a while, watching all of his videos what he is doing and has done is downright amazing. Something that I actually hope really works out and I am really considering buying one of his conversion kits when it's released.

For people who know what I'm talking about, what is y'all's opinion on Edison Motors and what they are doing?
Old 01-15-2024, 11:20 PM   #2
shadoWBox

Name: shadoWBox
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
My uncle might be interested in that topic of converting the old pick up trucks. He doesn't like the fancy EV vehicles, though! He just got 35" nitto tires from 4Wheelonline onto his Ram. I'll check out their videos.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:16 AM   #3
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Sounds very plausible, just like the locomotives and the only realistic sustainable way I see it working until EV technology evolves.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:04 AM   #4
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Can you go small enough on the engine size to get away from most of the emissions equipment? Isn't a ~75hp cutoff?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2024, 05:45 AM   #5
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Their brand loyalty to CAT is an issue.
I admit I've ignored the details because of the amount of cheerleaders from people not part of the industry.
It's funny, my buddies and I talked (argued) about a hybrid pulling truck at TS's pull in 2012. Now companies are proposing doing exactly that.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-16-2024, 05:50 AM   #6
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
bet its cost prohibitive..altho..it would have to be less than 12k for the conversion..cuz thats the cost of a new engine..why would ya..roi is like a windmill or solar...by the time its paid for itself its junk

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...
Old 01-16-2024, 06:03 AM   #7
ADaniel4573

Member`s Gallery
Im not sure what they will chose for an engine and to be honest im not versed in emission regulations for a case like this. In any case, a smaller diesel engine running a various low rpm using a truck size fuel tank, tank a fuel should last quite a while. Id imagine a couple weeks as a daily driver.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:12 AM   #8
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
its mostly the locomotive concept in a pickup or semi..which is great..but very many parts there look like theyre proprietary. thatll be the biggest issue im thinking. axles. brkae system? new engine. new trans generator...about half the cost of a new truck..thats about 50k US....

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...
Old 01-16-2024, 07:46 AM   #9
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
its mostly the locomotive concept in a pickup or semi..which is great..but very many parts there look like theyre proprietary. thatll be the biggest issue im thinking. axles. brkae system? new engine. new trans generator...about half the cost of a new truck..thats about 50k US....
They are using a conventional chassis on the heavy tractor. Something I don't like is that they are retaining a drive line (unless that's changed recently) when the other oems are building the motor stator group into the chunk.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-16-2024, 08:12 AM   #10
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
but not axles..or any driveline components..what about brakes? internal with the motors? dynamic?

driveline might be bester..easier to repair a single component? roi seems impossible to meet

rip wrongway...
Old 01-16-2024, 08:32 AM   #11
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Not sure if it's these guys or someone else doing something similar, but I recently watched a video where their prototype was built with the electric motor spinning the regular driveline, but they planned to go to drive motors at the wheels. Seems more cost effective to use the existing driveline to me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2024, 08:37 AM   #12
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
but not axles..or any driveline components..what about brakes? internal with the motors? dynamic?

driveline might be bester..easier to repair a single component? roi seems impossible to meet
I meant the entire thing, conventional axles, drive line. Motor with drive flanges. They have it built to do retrograde/regenerative braking.
They say they have some proprietary designs on it, but I can't remember what. Most of what I saw, you could buy a multiquip generator and strap it to a truck chassis, add a motor with controller and have 80% of what they have done. I'm pretty sure I heard the name danfoss in one of the videos, they power flow controls and components.

I doubt they will be able to package enough heat sinking to do any real retrograde braking. But who knows.

This is essentially taking an AC drive haul truck and packing it in a vocational HD truck. The big talk was using capacitors for peak shaving, but I haven't gotten to talk to anyone at CAT about that in years.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 AM   #13
ADaniel4573

Member`s Gallery
So to my understanding, and this is just based on my interpretation of what I read from their description that you will get a engine powered generator to put in your engine bay and that generator will power what they call electric drive axles which I assume means the electric motor is built into the axles which is what moves the truck.

Which what biggy was saying about the regenerative braking that would still be able to be applied, now if they're going to keep the hydraulic braking that came with the truck with those axles I am unsure about nor do I know how that would work. Really thinking about it, I would think the design and manufacturing of a whole new axle for every different type of truck would be expensive. I would think it be cheaper to design an electric motor that can take the place of the pinion and ring gear in the factory axle and bolt in place of the diff cover or center section (depending on which axle have). I could see that being cheaper for design and manufacturing and overall total cost for the package.

Last edited by ADaniel4573; 01-16-2024 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Didn't finish what I was saying like a dummy
Old 01-16-2024, 09:07 AM   #14
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaniel4573 View Post
So to my understanding, and this is just based on my interpretation of what I read from their description that you will get a engine powered generator to put in your engine bay and that generator will power what they call electric drive axles which I assume means the electric motor is built into the axles which is what moves the truck.
This would be cost prohibitive over offering something that only replaces the engine transmission group. Their target market encompasses too many vehicles/axle makes.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-16-2024, 11:39 AM   #15
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
yea. just replace the engine trans with a power source and the generator...use a home genrator..make 35k...lolits already a pkg....dont let generac in on our game tho.ssshhhh

rip wrongway...
Old 01-16-2024, 12:47 PM   #16
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
Sounds very plausible, just like the locomotives and the only realistic sustainable way I see it working until EV technology evolves.
Agreed
Old 01-16-2024, 12:56 PM   #17
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
I’ve always thought a small diesel engine powering a generator and motors on each wheel would be the way to go.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:50 PM   #18
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
arent all the huge off road mining trucks like locomotives..elec drive at each wheel?

rip wrongway...
Old 01-16-2024, 02:05 PM   #19
Cowboys4Christ

Name: Cowboys4Christ
Title: Boost is energy held back
Member`s Gallery
They say the kit will cost anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new pickup. That covers a broad spectrum. Neat idea, but, it still uses batteries. And those things don't do good in the cold.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:16 PM   #20
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
I’ve always thought a small diesel engine powering a generator and motors on each wheel would be the way to go.
From what I understand, having the motors on each end causes phasing issues that have to be accounted for.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250