Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
coorsman2005

Name: coorsman2005
Title: i like beer
Member`s Gallery
Mine blew with stock charger and smarty. Then again after that from a half ass hg job. From (DJEAN AUTOMOTIVE) in beaumont tx. When mike at lazersmith pulled my head noticed they took a disk sander to my block. But since mike fixed it right its doing great. Also I ditched the stock charger. I'm still running smarty with minimal smoke and love it. But soon I'm going efi live as everyone knows for beter/finer tuning.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
NicG

Name: NicG
Title: the only way to fly...
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4neatr View Post
That all depends on what you call "decent"! With EFI, I have built a tune that puts me just over 500 to the ground and absolutely NO SMOKE! I love it for DD and towing, EGT's don't go over 1100deg. And the name of this forum is Competition Diesel, not blow as much smoke as you can diesel. Remember, smoke means unburnt fuel, that equals a loss in efficiency/power.
Ditto+ 300 hp

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
NicG

Name: NicG
Title: the only way to fly...
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicG View Post
Ditto+ 300 hp

I smoke a little till the turbos light but then it's all getting burnt in the cylinder where it belongs.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
4neatr

Name: 4neatr
Title: Armor your truck
Member`s Gallery
Don't get me wrong guys, I personally think that smoke rolling out of a stack AT THE TRACK looks fricken' awesome, but it still is wasting fuel, and is not a clean tune for maximum power. My goal this year is to take this 8000lb pig into the 12's with no smoke.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Don't get me wrong guys, I personally think that smoke rolling out of a stack AT THE TRACK looks fricken' awesome, but it still is wasting fuel, and is not a clean tune for maximum power.
Again not completely true. Diesel fuel WILL form soot at the ideal stoichiometric ratio. It is less volatile than gasoline. Sled pullers and drag racers at the highest levels do not blow black smoke because it's cool, they do it because soot naturally forms at maximum power and torque.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
.Sled pullers and drag racers at the highest levels do not blow black smoke because it's cool, they do it because soot naturally forms at maximum power and torque.
No way man!! They do it because oraling coal is bad ass! Ask some of the douchers on the net!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #27
4neatr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown95 View Post
Again not completely true. Diesel fuel WILL form soot at the ideal stoichiometric ratio. It is less volatile than gasoline. Sled pullers and drag racers at the highest levels do not blow black smoke because it's cool, they do it because soot naturally forms at maximum power and torque.
Ok, so you've told me this twice now, more smoke = more power. got it.......

Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
more smoke = more power.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #29
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ok, so you've told me this twice now, more smoke = more power. got it.......
at no point did he say that

Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #30
4neatr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
at no point did he say that
Actually he has said it twice now.

"Diesel fuel WILL form soot at the ideal stoichiometric ratio."
"Sled pullers and drag racers at the highest levels do not BLOW BLACK SMOKE because it's cool, they do it because soot naturally forms at maximum power and torque."

Yes I agree that a small amount of soot is generated by diesel fuel, but tons of smoke pouring out of a stack is not an efficient burn.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #31
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Actually he has said it twice now.

"Diesel fuel WILL form soot at the ideal stoichiometric ratio."
"Sled pullers and drag racers at the highest levels do not BLOW BLACK SMOKE because it's cool, they do it because soot naturally forms at maximum power and torque."

Yes I agree that a small amount of soot is generated by diesel fuel, but tons of smoke pouring out of a stack is not an efficient burn.
again, at not point did he say more smoke = more power

he said diesel fuel will form soot at ideal stoich ratio. he didn't say it would black out the sun

learn how to ****ing read

Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #32
bobcat67

Name: bobcat67
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I have an H&S mini maxx on my 6.4 and EFI on the 5.9, I like the H&S because it's on the fly tuning and the digital gauges are kinda nice, and I know lots of guys running their tuners on the 6.7 Cummins without pouring tons of smoke, I think this dude is asking the wrong forum what tuner he should get, dieselbombers or cumminsforum could probably tell you about how much noise you're gonna make and how much coal you're going to roll

Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #33
4neatr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post

learn how to ****ing read
Thanks Forrest, your input into threads is always well spoken and informative.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #34
randomid25

Name: randomid25
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
I was under the impression that diesels didn't use the stoichiometric scale. Is that incorrect? My understanding is that while gasoline burns in a vapor state, diesel is being burned as fine droplets of fuel coming in contact with air that is heated by high compression ratios. The smaller the droplets, the more surface area of the fuel comes in contact with the heated air, making for more efficient combustion of fuel. That is the reason for the extreme fuel pressure in late model diesels. From what I've read, this is the reason that even an overfueled diesel would still be lean according to a stoichiometric ratio.

Please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn.

My Arc Reactor runs on No. 2
THIS IS COMP-DEX!

Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #35
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Forrest, your input into threads is always well spoken and informative.

It is actually. You're the one who thinks smoke looks cool

You don't seem to grasp the fact that there is a variance in opacity. Nobody ever said more smoke = more power. Do you even know what stoich means? Because your posts sure indicate that you don't.

Last edited by Scooter's Roofing; 05-12-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #36
Scooter's Roofing

Member`s Gallery
The optimal air: fuel ratio for power is obviously far different than that of a gasser, but one still exists.

It also happens to be well beyond the point of the creation of visible soot. But contrary to what some brain surgeons may theorize, as you go richer and richer, power WILL begin to come back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomid25 View Post
I was under the impression that diesels didn't use the stoichiometric scale. Is that incorrect? My understanding is that while gasoline burns in a vapor state, diesel is being burned as fine droplets of fuel coming in contact with air that is heated by high compression ratios. The smaller the droplets, the more surface area of the fuel comes in contact with the heated air, making for more efficient combustion of fuel. That is the reason for the extreme fuel pressure in late model diesels. From what I've read, this is the reason that even an overfueled diesel would still be lean according to a stoichiometric ratio.

Please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #37
randomid25

Name: randomid25
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Thanks Forrest.

THIS IS COMP-DEX!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #38
skidootom

Name: skidootom
Title: Engineer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreePuller View Post
I have been looking to get rid of my pmt ever since it screwed my truck up, but dont know which tuner to go with the H&S or The smarty? im looking for decent power gain and as much smoke as i can get. I will be adding more mods in the future as well.

I would go with a H&S Mini Maxx, mostly because it has many options to adjust on the unit, transmission tuning, and full MCC capabilities to custom tune engine and trans. Next best is that you can use it on the next truck you buy!

Maxx Calibration Control Tuning Software - H&S Performance

Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #39
ctcsp846

Name: ctcsp846
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I had a Smarty on my second gen, and I have the Black Maxx on my 6.7. I love the Black Maxx, but it is way more money than a Smarty. If I had a limited budget, I would go Smarty.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #40
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsman2005 View Post
in beaumont tx.
I used to umm... Date a girl from there

Closed Thread