Plating stock 12v intercooler for air/water

90dodge

Always Broke
I found an older thread for a/w intercoolers and somebody brought this up.

Has anybody measured the difference between a stock 12v cooler and then converting it to a/w?

How about from the plated intercooler to a a/w intercooler like a smaller frozen boost?

I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the little work compared to a 300-400 dollar a/w.

i would think the only work worth doing to a stock 12v intercooler is the labor it takes to remove it, as i believe its a restrictive piece in a performance application. if you plate the stock intercooler and submerge it in ice water, im sure you will see some gains. i would either buy a aftermarket a/a or just buy a a/w.

I looked into plating my first gen cooler, but ended shelling out the cash for the frozen boost unit. My setup was pretty ghetto, but it worked great for the brush pulls that I went to.

I just used a large beer cooler with a marine bilge pump. Turned it on before the pull and the whole cooler was ice cold before a run. Not as fancy as some of the ones that I've seen on here, but it did the trick.

I read it works pretty dang well for the amount of work put into it. I don't plan on going to any serious pulls either really. So ofcourse I don't know if I want to drop 500 or so on a new one.

Sure you don't need it? I know you wanna see me blow the 12v up at the Tulsa sled pull... :snoop:

I used the bigger one, the type 17. I bought some 90* exhaust pipe from the local auto parts store, and welded some brackets so it fit in the factory location. I just used the factory 2nd gen i/c pipes also.

Had to grind some of the rad support, but it fit and it worked nicely. Just looked like crap. But so did the rest of the truck.

I'll get some comparison numbers when I get my new setup running.
I sold my p pumped 1st Gen, but I kept all of the plumbing and hardware for the w/a cooler. It will eventually find its way into my other truck, but I wanted to see how it ran with the stock IC first.

Someone must have ran a comparison before.

I would try it out man. What do you have to lose?

If I were to do this I'd try to widen it a little to get a little more water in it. I don't see the stock a/a flowing water very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody know the cheapest way for me to set up and read Temps pre and post?

Might as well get some quality information off it.

Back