Proper Use of Jake Brake?

AKStew

I bought my truck about 2 years ago and it has a Jake Brake (the real thing made by Jacobs) with the Cummins name on it. It seems to work correctly though I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. It only engages above 35 mph and when you give it gas at any speed it disengages.

My question is when I'm towing my 10k travel trailer, do I leave the pull switch on the gear shifter engaged all the time or do I engage it only when I think i need it?

Thanks,
Stew

Anytime you hit the accelerator its going to disengage the brake because if it didn't it would create massive amounts of back pressure and then there would be problems.

Anytime your slowing down pull the switch towards you to engage, once your stopped push the switch down to disengage.

Use the exhaust brake ALL the time no matter if your loaded or empty. The more you can use the exhaust brake the longer your service brakes last, and your exhaust brake will not gum up with soot and choose to stick when you need it with your travel trailer.

Last edited:
I believe they will only come on above a certain RPM or speed. Like stated when stopping use it and when taking off make sure it is disengaged or it might make it difficult to accelerate. I have seen several truckers forget to shut their version off and it makes for rough take off lol

Will it come on at idle so you can use it for warm up?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Yes, if you have the switch on it will come on at idle if the coolant is below 175. Living in Alaska I used it a lot for warming up. :)

Stew

I believe they will only come on above a certain RPM or speed. Like stated when stopping use it and when taking off make sure it is disengaged or it might make it difficult to accelerate. I have seen several truckers forget to shut their version off and it makes for rough take off lol

Mine disengages as soon as you push the gas pedal. At speed, when take your foot off the gas it will downshift to 3rd gear and lock up the torque converter down to 35mph.

Stew

Last edited:
Back