Air Compressor Q's

97strokeonit

STROKE-A-HOLIC
What size air compressor would be suitable to run a couple air tools off of without a problem?

I found an Ingersol Rand either 120 or 150 gallon air compressor that is in awsome shape and runs like new for 800 bucks. I think thats a little over kill but is that a good brand/ deal?

120 gal. is more than enough to run some tools. but other than that it is good brand/price.

Tank size isn't really the thing to look at. If it's that big of a tank, I'm sure the pump is plenty big unless somebody screwed with it. If you've got the power to run it, go for it! That's a good price considering it's probably a cast pump and possibly a 3 stage design. There's a lot worse things than Ingersoll, too.

So far what I have been told to look for with a tank this size is since its a 220V motor check and see if its a single phase motor to ensure it will run on a regular circuit. Next you want a two stage compressor for more efficient or quicker fill ups. If it says T30 on the pump it is a two stage. Also if it looks like a V-Twin it should be. Lastly look at it just like a used car. Check the oil. Look for rust. Their is a drain plug you can check for water also to make sure it has been mantained regularly.

That's pretty good advice, but I'm not sure why you're looking in that tank size if you've only got single phase power. Generally speaking, when the tank size goes up, the HP usually goes up. Since you're talking about a "regular circuit," I highly doubt you have the proper setup to run more than about a 5hp unit. 5hp and 7.5hp are pretty common on 80gal tanks. When you jump to 120+gal, they're usually 10+hp and require some serious power (in the 3ph flavor.) You're right on the V design being a 2 stage pump, but they also come in an inline design (look for 2 pistons side by side with one being smaller than the other.) 3 stage is usually a V with another right up the middle.

Ingersol definatly a good compressor 120 to 150 gallon thats a big unit. Do you need all that to run a "couple" air tools? No but if youv'e got the power to run it to much won't hurt ya

Last edited:
The biggest thing I am looking at is that its practically brand new and costs the same as a decent 70-80 gallon tank. So if I can support it why not have the extra capacity for the possibility of sand blasting or what not later down the road. I dont really need it. At most I would be running several air tools at once but like I said. Why not go larger if its the same cost as the smaller ones. I just didnt know if it was in fact a good deal.

That's pretty good advice, but I'm not sure why you're looking in that tank size if you've only got single phase power. Generally speaking, when the tank size goes up, the HP usually goes up. Since you're talking about a "regular circuit," I highly doubt you have the proper setup to run more than about a 5hp unit. 5hp and 7.5hp are pretty common on 80gal tanks. When you jump to 120+gal, they're usually 10+hp and require some serious power (in the 3ph flavor.) You're right on the V design being a 2 stage pump, but they also come in an inline design (look for 2 pistons side by side with one being smaller than the other.) 3 stage is usually a V with another right up the middle.

So it could be a two stage without being a V?

The biggest thing I am looking at is that its practically brand new and costs the same as a decent 70-80 gallon tank. So if I can support it why not have the extra capacity for the possibility of sand blasting or what not later down the road. I dont really need it. At most I would be running several air tools at once but like I said. Why not go larger if its the same cost as the smaller ones. I just didnt know if it was in fact a good deal.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good deal if it still has the factory pump/motor specs and runs like you say it does. It's the support part that raises red flags. If you buy it and melt your breaker panel off the wall, please post pics. :D

Look at the motor data plate.. It will state the number of phases... That being said, if you use a die grinder hard, it takes one heck of a compressor to keep up.... Another is BIG impacts (3/4 and 1" drive units with 1/2 or 3/4 inch hoses). At the garage I used to work at, running the die grinder hard could keep two 5hp two stage compressors busy... So would the 3/4 impact...... If you were running both at different ends of the shop, well, good luck! LOL

If it's single phase and you have $800 laying around, nab it! Just be prepared to run a 80 amp circuit and $6/ft wire to it when it's time to hook it up! LOL

Yea depending on its size you may have some issues running it. Get the motor nameplate, check out your electrical service that is available.

I've had a Coleman magna force 70 gal two stage single phase 6.5 horse that I bought used like 10-12 years ago, it'll run just about anything you want to throw at it up to a 3/4 impact without any problems. Takes a little while to recover doing a set of 24.5" semi tires, but even then its not too bad. Hope this helps for reference...

Tank size isn't really the thing to look at. If it's that big of a tank, I'm sure the pump is plenty big unless somebody screwed with it. If you've got the power to run it, go for it! That's a good price considering it's probably a cast pump and possibly a 3 stage design. There's a lot worse things than Ingersoll, too.

True. When i bought mine there was a twin sylinder 80 gallon and the one i bought, which was a three cylinder 60 gallon, but more cfm ect. they were the same price too

Mine has no cylinders and an 80 gallon tank. It's 3 phase though. Just look at the tag on the motor. If you aren't having to go to far and youneed some larger wire, let me know. I still have a couple of the pulled wire sets from my other shop. Some were #6, some were #2(3 hots all the same size and 1 ground wire 1 size smaller per set).

RonA

Mine has no cylinders and an 80 gallon tank. It's 3 phase though. Just look at the tag on the motor. If you aren't having to go to far and youneed some larger wire, let me know. I still have a couple of the pulled wire sets from my other shop. Some were #6, some were #2(3 hots all the same size and 1 ground wire 1 size smaller per set).

RonA

What kind of fun stuff are you running that requires a screw compressor? :pop:

I have a small machine shop next to my house. 2 CNC mills, 1 CNC lathe, manual equipment, blast cabinet, etc. It's a Kaeser SM 11. Bought it 18 years ago.
I'd like to have someone around close that I could learn some machining from.

Back