Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
1stack

Name: 1stack
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Control arms

Does anyone have any experience with Energy poly bushings for the control arms on these trucks? I just ordered a kit to do mine. I’ve read the old rubber bushings are a pain in the ass to remove? Any tips?

2003 Chev 8.1L
2004.5 Cummins sold
06 LBZ sold
05 Cummins sold
99 Cummins sold

Old 03-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
RollCoal9000

Name: RollCoal9000
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Yeah. Scrap the weak stock arms and get some aftermarket ones.

I wouldn't even attempt to remove the bushings without a press (basically leaf spring bushings.)

Old 03-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Yeah, I used an electro-hydraulic press and they didn't budge until around 3,000 psi.

I've personally been eyeing up the MetalCloack control arms. I really like that they have an overmolded bushing design. That's what OEMs do to avoid environmental (salt) issues. And the price is cheaper than Thuren and Carli.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Gear Jammer

Name: Gear Jammer
Member`s Gallery
I've use a hole saw to get the rubber out of the center of the stock bushings. Then the rubber gets stuck in the hole saw though. I've been told you can use a drill and drill holes around the outer edge of the rubber, and the drill bit should walk itself around the outside of the rubber bushing separating it from the metal sleeve it sits in.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Yeah, I used an electro-hydraulic press and they didn't budge until around 3,000 psi.

I've personally been eyeing up the MetalCloack control arms. I really like that they have an overmolded bushing design. That's what OEMs do to avoid environmental (salt) issues. And the price is cheaper than Thuren and Carli.
I have Metalcloak on my 2nd gen and they are nice . Would definitely upgrade the arms instead of the bushings only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
I went with Carli control arms. If you have a leveling kit on the truck I would suggest getting longer after market arms as it made a difference in steering and driving.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
RollCoal9000

Name: RollCoal9000
Member`s Gallery
I got mine from a company called "top guns customs" poly bushings that are supposed to be a better material. Solid arms, greasable but cant really pump grease in them after install (might get better with time.).

Stock track bar with poly bushings and carli shocks w/ bilstein stabilizer. 2.5" rough country? Soft ride springs. Rides good for being lifted, would be better with an adjustable track bar. I have energy bushings in the front of the leaf's since the stock ones were blown out.

I would go with any non-adjustable arms with poly bushings, extended length if you have a lift.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #8
1stack

Member`s Gallery
I got my arms out last night. The top bolt on the passenger side sucks. Down pipe in the way. Had to cut it with sawzall. Going to press bushings out today and reinstall.

2003 Chev 8.1L
2004.5 Cummins sold
06 LBZ sold
05 Cummins sold
99 Cummins sold

Old 03-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
RyanMayo

Name: RyanMayo
Member`s Gallery
I did it about 6 or 7 years ago... I didn't have a press at the time, and it got ugly haha. I bought a press after that. I did the track bar bushings at the same time, and all together it made a noticeable difference in both steering and ride, which has lasted so far.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
1stack

Member`s Gallery
Back together today. Pressing bushings out and pressing new ones in was a breeze. Now just have to wait on one bolt I ordered thru Dodge. The only reason I ordered one was because the old one had a taper on it.

My fault though was I didn’t mark the camber bolts on the lower arms. I’m gonna have to get the truck aligned I guess.

2003 Chev 8.1L
2004.5 Cummins sold
06 LBZ sold
05 Cummins sold
99 Cummins sold

Old 03-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollCoal9000 View Post
I got mine from a company called "top guns customs" poly bushings that are supposed to be a better material. Solid arms, greasable but cant really pump grease in them after install (might get better with time.).

Stock track bar with poly bushings and carli shocks w/ bilstein stabilizer. 2.5" rough country? Soft ride springs. Rides good for being lifted, would be better with an adjustable track bar. I have energy bushings in the front of the leaf's since the stock ones were blown out.

I would go with any non-adjustable arms with poly bushings, extended length if you have a lift.
I used some of their stuff back in the day when they were on eBay only and I was broke as Hell but still wanted to do truck stuff.
Other than some metal parts that had corrosion issues (cheap paint), their stuff was really top notch. A bunch of their stuff is still on my 12V a decade later.

Their pitman arm is broached instead of forged splines like the other aftermarket ones. That makes a HUGE difference.

Closed Thread