Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
ridin1

Name: ridin1
Title: notsonewbie
Member`s Gallery
A Tap that'll Land me in the Asylum

Guys and I could use some serious help here as im loosing my mind. I had a new cummins built engine installed at a shop and its always had a hand full of abnormal noises. The main noise being what sounds like a small ball peen hammer taping on something very light in weight or thin. Injectors had 1500 miles on them when the original engine lost compression rings, I sent them to Exergy, they tested good and were installed in new engine. All the noises are 1:1, one rotation creates on tap. It'd take a week to fill you in so ill abbreviate what I can to spare you. Rockers set wrong, 6 plastic retainers broke off and went into engine-I installed new 6.7 rockers/pedestals and bridges on vacation. 7000 miles ago I installed a new sportsman cp3 which made one noise louder. At this time I did Ham 103 springs and HD pushrods. Turns out Cam gear was stretched when removed from oe cam by shop and installed on Ham 178 cam-cam gear, bushings and retainer smoked-i replaced them. At that same time I replaced the cp3 gear and noticed the Oil press relief valve showed signs of a lot of movement in its bore-i replaced oil pump, pressure regulator and relief valve in heat exchanger. I have reinstalled the 5.9 rockers, bridges and pushrods which changed the noise but didn't get rid of it. So I reinstalled the 6.7 assemblies. The main noise im chasing now starts out pretty loud at initial start up and fades away after 30 seconds or so, it does not go away just quiets down a little. There are sporadic times when the noise gets louder then tapers or fades off-never completely going away. I have shut off one injector at a time both electronically and by physically capping the rail to no avail. There was no debris in the oil pan, two previous oil samples came back good and theres a third in the mail right now. I have tried all sorts of different oil, LE8800 making the noise the quietest. Tranny was pulled to do rear cam bushing and there was nothing hitting or rubbing around BH or adapter-clutch looks great. I sounds like theres something in the main oil rifle that feeds the rockers and the noise will seemingly move but its so consistent with the rpm. Any ideas or things to try would be appreciated. Cummins techs have listened to it, Hamilton has listened to it, Exergy has listened to it-they all agree something definitely tapping but were out of thing to try. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
Poulina

Name: Poulina
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
tappet or cam lobe

Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
I've got one I've been trying to sort out, and I'm suspicious of the injection pump because the tap is less noticeable depending on injection mode.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
I've got one I've been trying to sort out, and I'm suspicious of the injection pump because the tap is less noticeable depending on injection mode.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk
If you figure it out, let me know, because I've been listening to 2013+ 6.7s and finding that some are quieter than others.

My 2014, with 390,000 miles, is one of the quieter 6.7s I've seen.

Now, I will say I've been told that the CP3 has a specific way it should be timed, to minimize said noises, but I find it hard to believe.

Mark.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
59turbo

Name: 59turbo
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Cp3 timing I put a stroker cp3 in my truck and it made noise when the original didn’t, I then removed the gear and turned the pump about 30 degrees and the noise is gone and back to what it sounded like with the original pump. Just my experience.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
How about a video of this tap?
Is a piece of plastic retainer wedged in an oil port somewhere in the block?
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
So I've convinced myself my is a wrist pin now....

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Closed Thread