Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
RollCoal9000

Name: RollCoal9000
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
How to: Melt pistons with a 2006 vintage edge hot unlock on a 2006 truck

Title explains it all. I have a 2006 era edge mounted in a 2006 truck since the truck was pretty much new.

Recent got an airdog and it increased hp for sure, then I decided to get the hot unlock code (not the smartest idea ik) to see how hard it would fuel and if the original cp3 was in good condition (itll black out an intersection so I think that means its good?).

The airdog did not fix my intermittent stuttering/shuddering issue. New rail pressure sensor seemed to help but I noticed it coming back a little today, gets worse with higher levels (the box is 12 y/o at least and still works so def could be the edge.) To elaborate. At part throttle acceleration you can hear the engine defuel/stop fueling for a split second then resume. Sometimes happens multiple times while accelerating, sometimes shudders really bad and sounds like it's searching between multiple different throttle levels. Its intermittent and doesnt seem to be related to anything.

So as I understand it hot unlock allows full fuel to 3200 and a more aggressive mid range. Still defuels on shifts (cant drive at less than 1/2 throttle on hot but I assume that's because of whatever the edge does to get power (timing/duration). Still caps rpm brake boosting but it ripped the tires loose instantly and I felt the axle wrap from the cab so no more of that.

Edge recommends a turbo upgrade with it and I definitely need one. Stock turbo tops out at 41 psi (can hit that at 2k rpm in OD on hot midrange power is nasty). But if I give it more than even 2/3 throttle at lower speeds especially egts skyrocket, cant even read it on the digital monitor, it will go from 1600 past 17 to probably 1800 in less than 2 seconds (so not sustaining that at all but still domt want to see it that high).

My question is I seem to lose boost pressure pretty quick on hot, I understand I'm asking too much of the stock turbo but on lower levels it holds 40 till right before it shifts. If I roll into it on 6 it holds 40 psi, if I mash on it it stays in the 30s. Is there any ghetto modifications I can do to the wastegate to push it to 50? I understand I will just be pushing hotter and hotter air and will rape the turbo but honestly I'm trying to learn things here.

I really would like to replace this with mm3 and actual tunes, and get a bigger turbo.

Also, my airdog while working great seemingly, had dropped pressure to 4 psi and the motor was hot as hell. I reset the pressure to 10 and now 15 and its stayed where it's set at but the motors still getting hot. Checked connections and they're cool dont think it's a wiring issue. Do the brushes have to wear in? I really dont want to warranty this it's not even a week old.

Also og headgasket would a retorque of the head bolts be a good idea?

Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #2
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
Turns out the airdog is sucking air through the quick connect right at the pump. Gonna shove a thicker o ring in it and if that doesnt work I'm going 6o push lock.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
I checked fuel pressure when I get back to town and it was set at like 60 psi? Backed it off to idk what. Got some larger o rings to shove in the quick connectors (it's a ***** to replace them), and that seemed to fix the air leak. But my gauge still reads 0. Which is in fact wrong because I can open the drain on the filter housing and shove my finger over the hole and there is definitely fuel pressure.

So ig the napa fuel pressure gauge I screwed into the filter head in the engine bay did not like the heat and vibrations.

Pump still gets hot, turn key on it takes a minute to put a load on it. I assume some of the fuel is draining back.

I'll get a real gauge and see what the pressure is.

I found turbolab of America sells a larger exhaust housing and turbine wheel to replace the stocker. Would this be a good upgrade? Said they made 700 whp on it

Old 12-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
Ended up getting a smarty jr after the edge quit. I was wholly unsatisfied with sw3’s “just floor it you don’t have enough power to hurt anything” and now got UDC to mess around with.

Copied a timing table from some thread here and messed around with the duration and two management a bit, don’t really know 100% what I’m doing tbh but it runs like a raped ape and has shown no signs of dying or slipping the trans atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-02-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
I can't believe I missed this thread.
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 12-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Have you melted a piston yet?

Old 12-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #7
wannabehero

Name: wannabehero
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Popcorn anyone?

Old 12-03-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
No and 240k factory cp3 might not have enough juice to even get there, and durations capped at 2500 anyways

Old 12-03-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
You could always knock the tip off of an injectors and go for a ride. That would do it within a mile.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
I just copied a timing table from some thread on here and copy pasted the duration table from one of the sample files and keep adding a bit of fuel in the bottom 2 rows from 2200 rpm on and Tbh i may be increasing it in too small of increments.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
I’ve been staring at UDC and this timing calculator and forum write up trying to understand how the duration table functions off load and rail pressure and how that correlates to timing and load and throttle position so far I am still very confused.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #12
RollCoal9000

Member`s Gallery
Hey update time snapped the TCS aermet input in two broke the pump and converter

Old 03-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #13
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
Just pushed all the tables into the red, huh? What do the kids all say? YOLO?

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 03-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #14
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Well this was a hidden gem.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #15
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery