2.6 puller/street cam opinions?

i think he does know what he is doing. he is just doing his homework to find out more on how to make a high powered/reliable pulling/street truck. and dont say that is impossible. because anything is possible. and i know exactly what gearing he will be using. he will be running a cummins powered ford with a zf6 with 3:73 gears. with the correct tuning, injectors, air intake, and turbine he will be able to run 3800-5000 rpms down the truck. how about we get back to answering his original question and stop arguing what he knows and doesnt knows. whether or not the truck will run hard no matter what. how do i know? oh lets just say im the key to this operation.

With enough time and money anything is possible.

Sure it may go down the track at 3800-5000rpm, but I doubt from what has been listed that it will make peak power above ~3000-3500rpm. Making it redundant to go down the track at 3800rpm+.

One of the few times I will ever agree with Houge on anything, but the head shop chosen is a joke if they claim better gains from polishing, there is no power in a diesel from polishing, if they don't have a flow bench look elsewhere. I also agree that a good chunk of the funds should be spent on the head.

You are better off to put another $500-$1000 into head work, and run a stock cam, then the other way around.

advice taken. im sure he will dyno it somwwhere and find its true max hp rand and then find the gearing ratio to match that rpm range and still rip down the track. but lets say all work is done to head including custom intake and yadda yadda, then updating to a bigger cam. what would he go with? what size and what not?

Sure it may go down the track at 3800-5000rpm, but I doubt from what has been listed that it will make peak power above ~3000-3500rpm. Making it redundant to go down the track at 3800rpm+.

One of the few times I will ever agree with Houge on anything, but the head shop chosen is a joke if they claim better gains from polishing, there is no power in a diesel from polishing, if they don't have a flow bench look elsewhere. I also agree that a good chunk of the funds should be spent on the head.

You are better off to put another $500-$1000 into head work, and run a stock cam, then the other way around.

What is odd, there have been dynos to prove otherwise. Stock head to maxed out head, very little hp difference.

7.5 stroker . You being the key to the operation. Ok, you win makes us all feel better. These guys especially the ones in this thread know a thing or two. This is comp d. I see your new, welcome. But on that note listen, you'll learn something.

This ain't cummins forum.

-Clinton

With the new CR builds we are seeing peak power above 4500 and good power well out to 5400 rpms. This is with good head work, and well thought out cams and high compression “above 19.0 to 1.

As to making power with stock heads, that would be contradicted by the huge money being spent on R&D programs by the big pulling engine shops on heads and intake manifolds.

If you have the air flow, you can make power at a higher rpm, which means less cylinder pressure and torque overload, this makes for a more durable engine program.
Lower boosts needed to move air in to the chamber means lower turbine inlet pressure, and less retained heat.
If you have lover retained heat , and you can tune around low end torque then you can increase efficiency by raising mech compression ratio.

and you can tune around low end torque then you can increase efficiency by raising mech compression ratio.

This comment, along with your insistance to use a cam profiles with large LSA numbers clearly shows you do not fully understand how sled pulling works.

This comment, along with your insistance to use a cam profiles with large LSA numbers clearly shows you do not fully understand how sled pulling works.

I do know that those that have embraced this concept are pulling farther then the others in their class.

LSA as a number has zero to do with cam design, it not even a number I look at untill after the cams is ground and I need to fill in a place on the cam card

I think he understands but i dont think you do. Your trying to build a competiton pulling engine and you dont know what stock compression is for the engine your building???? Do you really think you should be building anything in the first place? Your going to take someones money and dont know where to start.

16.3 to 1. At least now they now know where they started lol. I agree with you tho 100% I would not take on another persons truck project if I was making post/threads as the OP did. Or the "key to the operation". Good luck to you two though.

I do know that those that have embraced this concept are pulling farther then the others in their class.

I see you used the word "others", I also find it interesting you feel overlap is just filling in a place on the cam card.

Last edited:
What is odd, there have been dynos to prove otherwise. Stock head to maxed out head, very little hp difference.

Same can be said about cams.

We went from a more polish then port, to a mid range ported head, and lost over 20psi of boost, for the same power. That was enough to make us believers and are going to a full done head this year.

Obviously i am not building the engine or doing any of the guess work or machining by myself, theres a reason i took it to a reputable machine shop i will give any advice thats put out there but the its not any of your customers so unless you want to help me out a little and give some usable comments to inform me a little better you dont have to comment, im asking questions is that a bad thing... at least im not like alot of people that try to act like they know everything there is to know be respectable and keep your trash talking useless comments to yourself. Next, the customer is as fully involved in this build as me as you can see he commented so you knows every aspect to this situation so i will tell you again i dont care what you think about ANYTHING except how to make this engine run the best it can.

16.3 to 1. At least now they now know where they started lol. I agree with you tho 100% I would not take on another persons truck project if I was making post/threads as the OP did. Or the "key to the operation". Good luck to you two though.

Im glad you can provide a real answer and somewhat understand.

7.5 stroker . You being the key to the operation. Ok, you win makes us all feel better. These guys especially the ones in this thread know a thing or two. This is comp d. I see your new, welcome. But on that note listen, you'll learn something.

This ain't cummins forum.

-Clinton

Thank you as well i will listen to any good bit of information given to me but not comments about mespending someone else money.

The machine shop claimed no gain in polishing just that it woul be lightly polished im sure theres some roughness after porting that can be smoothed out dont be so fast to ridicule and i will listen to anything you have to say...

When I design a cam profile I look at the application and then lay out where I want the events to happen. Next I determine how I want to achieve the maximum area under the curve.

None of that involves the terms “overlap, Lobe separation angle, Intake centerline or even duration”. Those numbers are calculated after the fact to put on the cam card.

The story the dyno tells is what drives my decisions for those calculations.

Back