Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
dodge.01grizzly

Name: dodge.01grizzly
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Built 48re issue

07 5.9 Mega with 90hp nozzles, CSP5, Fresh Air Intake, 4in turbo back exhaust. Runs good but I believe the EFI is stuck on stage 5. (i believe this is the root cause of my issue)

48RE-Was built by a respectable local individual that now works at Wagler's deisel. Installed the following:

Billet Flexplate
Suncoast Triple Disk Converter
Billet Input
Valvebody from A&A Trans in Indianapolis
Billet 4.2 ration intermediate band lever
Billet band links
New Sprags
New bearings
Latest design solenoids at that time
High energy frictions
HD 2nd gear band with Kevlar lining
Extra deep oil pan

Back in June, going on a family vacation, was pulling a 30 foot travel trailer for about 2 hours. I took an exit to get on another interstate, got up to about 65, decided to push a little harder, so gave it moderate throttle to get up to 70-75 when all of the sudden it felt a combination between a hard shift into OD and somebody hitting the brake. Didnt lock anything up, it was just that it was noticable that the wife felt it too. Trucked on for about a half mile till I decided that i better at least make sure no fluid was leaking. Got out on the side of the interstate and noticed black oil leaking from the flywheel housing. Figured it was the rear main seal that gave out, motor still had plenty of oil in it, so thought I'd truck up to the next exit to get my family off the side of the interstate. Got into the truck, put it in drive, and it barely moved to the point that it stopped moving. I knew then, that it was more than the rear main seal.

Sat for a bit on the side of the interstate, (which i hated doing with how traffic was) put it in gear and it would creep along a 100ft or so and then stop moving again, felt as if it was popping out of gear. At the same time, sitting still, i would give it more throttle to see if it would move at all and it almost felt as if it was locked in (would pull the motor down). Fast forward an hour till i had someone come grab the camper. With the truck by itself and cooled off a bit, it took off just fine but then would'nt shift out of first. I just wanted to get off the interstate, but only made it about a mile or so in first until it stopped moving again. Luckily had some good friends bring me a truck and take mine home. Loaded on the trailer just fine, but has been sitting ever since they unloaded it at the house.

Fluid smells burnt, I'm sure I am do for a full rebuild, but would any of you have any additional comments as to what went out? I am seriously debating going to a manual as to that is what i always owned before and really liked them, but dont know if i want to commit to a swap or not. Would like to get as much information on this before i try and go swapping it with someone.

Last edited by dodge.01grizzly; 09-15-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: clarification of mods to truck

Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like you burnt up a clutch pack to me, probably the directs. Could be from a number or reasons though.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 09-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #3
Sanger

Name: Sanger
Member`s Gallery
When the transmission was installed did anyone check line pressure? Sound like you burnt the clutches.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
dodge.01grizzly

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure the line pressure was checked. It's been working great for the past two years until this happened.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like you overheated the transmission and it burnt up.

Last edited by kleann; 09-15-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
dodge.01grizzly

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, I'm positive it got overheated and some if not all the clutches are burnt. I guess I am more or less asking if any of you would know what all may be damaged and what I can reuse on the next rebuild. I know what it costs last time to rebuild it, but that was installing all the parts listed above. I know I can reuse the hard parts, but didnt know about the rest.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Clutches, steels, and seals are cheap. Plus a cut and clean on your valve body if you got a bunch of junk in your fluid. Labor is what's going to cost you

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Closed Thread