Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
michael.kitko

Name: michael.kitko
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
2WD Overdrive Gear Cluster Stuck In Case...

I have finally gotten over the majority of the deck build, so now I am getting some time to do some work on my fummins project.

Anyways, yesterday I went to disassemble the rear 2wd overdrive section of the 46rh. I took out the speedometer housing, removed the output yoke, took the small ring out, removed the clutches, took the wave ring out, took the other snap ring out, then I set it up on a block of wood, went to unclip the gear retaining snap ring and the gear train literally moved about a 1/10 of an inch. I just can't get the gear train free from the housing. I even pushed it back up inside a few times and expanded the ring again to see what all was moving. I even did small taps with a rubber mallet and tried pushing really hard. It just won't move. I don't know if it is related, but there seems to be a ticking noise when I rotate the gear assembly.

Now, three days ago, I took my 4wd overdrive housing apart on the 47rh and did the exact same thing, minus the speedo of course, and when I set it up right and then expanded the snap ring, the gear train came right on out with a nice thud.

Am I missing something on the 2wd section or is there something broken and stuck?

My manual is an ATSG. I did ask this same question on another forum and figured why not ask here as well.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
michael.kitko

Member`s Gallery
Got it out and from the sounds of it, I saved loads of money. For anyone in the future who may have this issue, it appears oil flow to the governor bearing and seals caused it to gall.

Here's what I did:
1. I cut the c-clip through the speedometer housing and removed it.
2. Drilled the side of the case and filed it out to get at the governor shaft and e-clips.
3. Pulled the e-clips and then the shaft out.
4. Spread the spring clip that holds the rear bearing in, the assembly dropped out.
5. Pulled the spring clip and pulled out the oil tubes.
6. Filled out the hole I made, tapped it, and built a cover.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
Its amazing what people can to with a little want too. Nice work.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
michael.kitko

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
Its amazing what people can to with a little want too. Nice work.
Thank you. In all honesty, I just hope this helps someone in the future, when a shop tells them it's stuck and it'll be like $400 to repair.

Closed Thread