Eating Alternators

dangerous06

diesel tech
Ok so I deleted the fuel filter on a 2012. The water in fuel light was on so I thought I could jump the sensor plug to make it go away. I turned the key on and something on the passenger side fried let out the smoke but I can't find it!
the truck is now frying Alternators. Not even sure what's frying! Smells bad!
Put a new one in lasted 2 minutes was charging fine then bam light on and burnt something. Anyone have a clue as to whats going on here?

What did you jump it to anyways? Also what is the ecm registering for voltage before it toast the alternator.

Bet that fuel filter delete with WIF sensor would've been much cheaper at this point!

My moms mail car was doing the same thing the wiring diagram showed a diode in the harness but the dealership couldn't tell me where so i took one form a ford OBS fuse panel and put it in the circuit problem solved.

Well I'm getting 26v before it pops! How is that even possible?! Yeah jumper was immediately removed I bet it needs a resistor. This is so weird! thinking of just isolating the system with a external regulator. I'm thinking the ecm or the tipm is fryed in the charging section.

Last edited:
Just a weird update: If your truck comes with a 130 amp alt put a 130 amp back in!
Thought upgrading was a good idea NO! it messes with the PCM and burns out! How weird is that?!

Well I'm getting 26v before it pops! How is that even possible?! Yeah jumper was immediately removed I bet it needs a resistor. This is so weird! thinking of just isolating the system with a external regulator. I'm thinking the ecm or the tipm is fryed in the charging section.

An easy way to do it would be to measure the resistance of the sensor as the input changes (not really sure how those sensors read). Then the ECM voltage to it. You can find yourself a resistor at that point.

I'd also check to see if the sensor has a built in diode. You'd want one too if it does. I assume that's where some of your issues came from.

Just a weird update: If your truck comes with a 130 amp alt put a 130 amp back in!
Thought upgrading was a good idea NO! it messes with the PCM and burns out! How weird is that?!

lol come on! You're better than that! Putting in a larger fuse is never upgrading! :lolly:

Well crap it lasted 24 miles and burnt out AGAIN! Any ideas out there? I'm going with a
3rd gen alt with an external regulator see what that does!

Back