New vegetable oil powered vehicle landspeed record

Oh yeah: and Total Seal Gapless rings. These turned out to be incredibly strong rings that performed quite well.

LOL agreed. as long as you don't mean out smoking the neighborhood.

Talking about taking it out to Firebird on the weekends for test and tune so we can actually know if the thing runs before hauling it all the way out to an event. Talking about maybe getting some groceries with it...

What rpm were you turning at 155 mph?

To be completely honest with you Jesse, I'm not exactly sure. Adrian and I haven't gone through data in a serious manner yet, but the tach was reading right around 3300.

probably right around peak power output. very nice, gotta keep it geared around that!
CompD Mobile Device

That is one he77 of a parts list. I don't know who you have rounding up sponsers but they should go pro. And congrats on the 155 run.

That is one he77 of a parts list. I don't know who you have rounding up sponsers but they should go pro. And congrats on the 155 run.

Thanks gunracer1! We worked hard for it.

I was the one making calls. I've thought about what happened over the summer as far as getting support, and the only thing I can come up with is that the project is good. There wasn't much to be done other than tell folks about the project, the rest kind of took care of itself. If you're working on something cool, that nobody else is doing, people seem to get a little more excited. Pretty sure we wouldn't have gotten the same response to building a drag truck or something, ya know?

so how much more air drag is there from 110 to 150 miles an hour because my 96 3500 has no problem going a 110 on my own biodiesel

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but my very quick calcs say that the drag force will be about double.

Keep in mind the power required goes up by about a power of three (also keep in mind this is just an estimate used to make things a little easier on the brain, certainly not accurate). I.E., to go 2 times as fast, you will need 2^3 as much power (2^3=8 times as much). From 110mph to 150 mph, you are basically trying to go 150/110 times faster (=1.36 times faster). So, you would need ~2.5 times more power (1.36^3=2.5). This means that if your truck had just enough power to go 110, in just the right gear, maybe 250hp (probably much less would be required in reality?), you would need 2.5*250hp=625hp to go 150.

What class was it in?

C (5-6 L) engine class, DT (Diesel Truck) body class

engine swaps are allowed in the diesel truck class.

The basics are:

production vehicle
stock body panels in stock relation to each other
retain the stock frame

Obviously there is more too it, but those are the biggest design constraints.

If you're on the east coast and don't have anything better to do in the next couple weeks, come on by the Washington Auto Show and check out the truck!! It will be there from Jan 27-Feb 5.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but my very quick calcs say that the drag force will be about double.

Keep in mind the power required goes up by about a power of three (also keep in mind this is just an estimate used to make things a little easier on the brain, certainly not accurate). I.E., to go 2 times as fast, you will need 2^3 as much power (2^3=8 times as much). From 110mph to 150 mph, you are basically trying to go 150/110 times faster (=1.36 times faster). So, you would need ~2.5 times more power (1.36^3=2.5). This means that if your truck had just enough power to go 110, in just the right gear, maybe 250hp (probably much less would be required in reality?), you would need 2.5*250hp=625hp to go 150.

Thank you the info was just what I was asking. Very impressive build keep up the good work. With that engine any idea on hp will the truck be a dyno some time?

No prob and thank you! If you have time, you should definitely try to make it to the show.

We haven't dyno'd it on veg yet, but on petro we have seen 708 on an inertia dyno. More work on that this coming semester.

For those of you who haven't seen this truck in person, it is pretty dang impressive, especially for the timeframe it was built in!

Back