Rod swap through the oil pan ?

me2

I am thinking of putting 12V rods into my 6.7. Its not presently installed in a truck.

Is it possible to swap rods into a 6.7 via the oil pan, leaving the head in place ?

Ie, turn the engine upside down, pull the pan, pull the crank, pull each piston out, swap the rod, put the piston back in, reassemble ?

Is this feasible ?

Thanks

I'm doing head studs and I'm stripping the block to paint it. I guess pulling the head wouldn't be that bad. I wouldn't have to pull the crank then.

Do I need to buy a new head gasket ? The engine has 4,000 miles on it.

Can't compress the rings to get the pistons in ?

Why won't it work ?

Even if the rings could be compressed...Think about the compression you'd be pushing against to get them in...lol

Pulling the head will give ya a chance to check everything out and catch something like a valve seat, crack in head, etc... Plus start with a a perfectly clean surface and new HG...Ready for some BIG hp!! lol

Even if the rings could be compressed...Think about the compression you'd be pushing against to get them in...lol
Pop the injector out. Open a valve.

Pulling the head will give ya a chance to check everything out and catch something like a valve seat, crack in head, etc...

My engine has 4,000 miles on it.

So what stops one from pulling the pistons out the bottom ? Is there a clearance issue somewhere ?

You can't get the piston past the crank or block on the bottom.

This picture is from the underside of a 6.7 block in-frame with the oil pan removed and #1 piston & rod removed from the top side.

67EngineCyl14.jpg

If your planning much HP with the motor. I would go ahead and get the Vulcan hg. It's pricey but after I went through 3 stock ones. This is the only one that has actually lasted.

LOL

These guys are getting soft.

thats the truth!

Seriously OP if you are going to go through the trouble to remove the engine, pull injectors, and open a valve to TRY removing the pistons out the bottom you are definately in the wrong place. Like someone else said....trip over a dollar to pick up a dime. Why are you so concerned about the headgasket being replaced? Its not a big deal at all. If doing it right is confusing you then you should just take it to a mechanic to do the work.

On Edit...I see the engine is already out of the truck....just load it into a truck and take it to someone. I can tell by the questions you have that Cummins is new to you and if you phuck it up doing it wrong or not getting it right then there will be a new thread on what happened.

Last edited:
Back