A mind boggler

Cummins182

So i have a 1999 12v ( yes i swapped it to a 12v 3 years ago) overhauled the engine 3 years ago. last January had what i thought was a head gasket failure. i had coolant leaking externally from the outside head stud on cylinder # 6. pulled it all apart to do a head gasket the gasket i used was a victor reinz last time so figure it was just a cheap head gasket but i decided to go the long route had the head taken to machine shop and head it checked for cracks and decked and new valve seals installed.

Reassembled the truck about a week ago used OEM marine head gasket .020 thicker then the stock one as the head had been decked twice. that i know of possible done before i got the truck once too.

Anyways i have been driving it for a week now, and up until now everything had seemed copesthetic. went to check it over last night and again i have coolant coming up around the same stud as last time! front radiator hose seems a little hard which concerns me.

Has anybody had this same issue?!?! like i covered all my bases torqued everything to cummins/arp specs. cant catch a break with this truck. any advise would be appreciated thanks!

A while back on here a guy had a similar repeat problem and it ended up being a hairline crack in the block.

yeah thats the only thing i can think of myself seeing as the head checked out fine. no idea how the block would have cracked all of the sudden.

Well i figured out what it was boys, Machine shop screwed meover and mised a crack in the cylinder head. now to find a new head.

When you do it again there isn't a need for a thicker HG. Milling the engine block deck requires one, not a valve job or milling the head.

Back