Cursed transmission! 47RE

jgsturbo

caveman
Okay since my truck is down with a melted piston I feel its time I finally get rid of the dreaded D-R-A-G this damn trans has had since the day I bought the truck...... (99 47RE).
I thought it was odd that a stock converter had a bit of drag, like let off the brakes and the truck ROLLS (takes off) like gasser converter creep.
-Added tractor fluid to help the stock build last longer... gets worse.
-Change to a triple disc (1500 stall) and do a shift kit... gets WAAAY worse.
Also develops a temp problem that only goes away under convert stall or full lockup.
-Completely rebuild trans after smoking it with high temps burning 3rd gear.
--Complete SC mega3 kit, billet input shaft, etc. Dunrite valvebody and big frame rail mount fanned cooler as well. Not to mention an all new 1500 stall converter.... same chit, can't hardly hold it still with the brakes which are about shot at this point.

Pressures ? I did a bunch of testing in this thread...
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156610
Since I've changed the VB completely including all new electronics (yes, I isolated the lockup solenoid electrically, no fix'um) I really don't see anything left but the case or pump *bdh*:bang

Okay since my truck is down with a melted piston I feel its time I finally get rid of the dreaded D-R-A-G this damn trans has had since the day I bought the truck...... (99 47RE).
I thought it was odd that a stock converter had a bit of drag, like let off the brakes and the truck ROLLS (takes off) like gasser converter creep.
-Added tractor fluid to help the stock build last longer... gets worse.
-Change to a triple disc (1500 stall) and do a shift kit... gets WAAAY worse.
Also develops a temp problem that only goes away under convert stall or full lockup.
-Completely rebuild trans after smoking it with high temps burning 3rd gear.
--Complete SC mega3 kit, billet input shaft, etc. Dunrite valvebody and big frame rail mount fanned cooler as well. Not to mention an all new 1500 stall converter.... same chit, can't hardly hold it still with the brakes which are about shot at this point.

Pressures ? I did a bunch of testing in this thread...
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156610
Since I've changed the VB completely including all new electronics (yes, I isolated the lockup solenoid electrically, no fix'um) I really don't see anything left but the case or pump *bdh*:bang

Stupid question did you get rid of the check ball in the front cooler line to allow full flow?

Check the case yet?

I guess I really don't know what to look for. I guess I need an ASG manual...
Starting to sound like something I need to send off, reading pressure diagrams and such really isn't my thing.

But who would be a good 47RE builder in the northwest?
Somebody who knows what to look for ?

Thinking about re-stalling to 1700-1800 as well.

Okay, finally pulled it apart on the bench. Pulled the VB, pulled the pump.
All the passage ways that have to do with the converter are rather short and I can't see much wrong.

So I'm getting that you feel the converter is doing a partial lockup just dropping it in drive? Any low stall converter is going to load the engine hard at idle.

Lavon

So I'm getting that you feel the converter is doing a partial lockup just dropping it in drive? Any low stall converter is going to load the engine hard at idle.

Lavon

x2

I have had a few triple discs load the engine hard enough to kill it every now and then(in a vp truck). Tight convertors make heat in gear with the brakes on, just the nature of the beast. If thats all your experiencing id say its normal, and if you dont like it get a looser one.

Maybe so, but JC I can't haul chit with this truck. I have to keep the motor spun up all the time to avoid the issue unless its in lockup. So all 1500 stall converters drop the engine a 200-300 rpms constantly and will drag a truck and trailer forward unless you literally stand on the hydro boost?
You have to stand on the brakes SO hard you feel like its going to push you in to the next. The truck does all these stupid motions that makes me look like I can't drive.
Having to manually shift to neutral it is a pia in stop and go.
Maybe I do need some new converters.

Seems like it recoved once it was in gear... mine doesn't . Drags it to 500 and stays there.
My truck will shove the fronts thru the grass.

Well f people, tried every test I could find. Pressurized ports to check for leaks, nada. Performed a WAT test (from the sonnax site under trouble shooting the TCC article.)... everything as it should be....

Slapping this TC into another truck that really needs a TC at the moment just to show my self it is the TC... lol. 1800 stall SC converter on its way.

Have u checked cooler flow? Might disconnect both cooler lines, and just run a line from front trans line to back line and see if the problem quits. Restricted coolers have been known to cause similar symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I installed TC in question into another truck and yes it does do very similar behavior. Not as bad imho but this truck still has stock clutches and the stock heat exchanger.

I have seen a lot of stock 48RE torque converters do this but not a 47.. What's the truck idling at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back