Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #201
jeemu

Name: jeemu
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Looks awesome, nice to watch.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #202
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I am sooooo Jealous!!!! I have a '67 Camaro sitting in the basement that has been sadly neglected for far too long and I have been wanting to put a Duramax in it. My build, if I ever do it would be more pro-touring than pro-street drag race like yours but man you have done some great work and really inspired me to get back to work on the car!!!

Keep up the good work and the updates. I hope you don't mind me stealing some ideas and solutions for my build as well...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #203
holsky

Name: holsky
Member`s Gallery
I can't believe I missed this thread.. Great fab skills!! Can't wait to see the video of it running!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #204
dslhtrdr

Name: dslhtrdr
Title: Always learning...
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 View Post
lookin good! sheetmetal work like that takes some serious skill!
Thanks Spence. It has really helped me refine my skills. BTW, I like what you did with your dads CR. I guess you will no longer have injector issues

'67 RS Camaro, LBZ Duramax, Built not Bought http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=141513

Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #205
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeemu View Post
Looks awesome, nice to watch.
Thanks, there's lots more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
I am sooooo Jealous!!!! I have a '67 Camaro sitting in the basement that has been sadly neglected for far too long and I have been wanting to put a Duramax in it. My build, if I ever do it would be more pro-touring than pro-street drag race like yours but man you have done some great work and really inspired me to get back to work on the car!!!

Keep up the good work and the updates. I hope you don't mind me stealing some ideas and solutions for my build as well...
Thanks for the compliments! I originally started it as a pro touring build years ago, but once I really dug into it, so much needed to be replaced that the structural integrity was compromised, so it made more sense to go this route, and I have no regrets.

Also, you can only take some of my ideas for your car if you can get mine in Diesel World magazine! J/k use anything you need. I hope I can help some people with this thread. Sometimes it's difficult to get ideas on how to do or fab something without seeing someone else's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holsky View Post
I can't believe I missed this thread.. Great fab skills!! Can't wait to see the video of it running!
There's a few people that have said that. As soon as it's ready, I will take videos.

Just finished getting my 12v running about 30 minutes ago. So now I can finally concentrate on the camaro again.

'67 RS Camaro, LBZ Duramax, Built not Bought http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=141513

Old 02-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #206
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslhtrdr View Post
Thanks for the compliments! I originally started it as a pro touring build years ago, but once I really dug into it, so much needed to be replaced that the structural integrity was compromised, so it made more sense to go this route, and I have no regrets.

Also, you can only take some of my ideas for your car if you can get mine in Diesel World magazine! J/k use anything you need. I hope I can help some people with this thread. Sometimes it's difficult to get ideas on how to do or fab something without seeing someone else's work.
I don't see any reason why we couldn't run a feature on your car once it is finished. The only issue I do see is shooting the feature. I'm in Tennessee, and we have staff guys in Phoenix and LA, so someone will probably have to take a flight to shoot it, or meet up with you at an event. I'd love to shoot it myself, but I would guess that someone out that way will probably end up doing it...

I can't wait to see it done.

I know my Camaro has some rust issues as well, hopefully not too bad, but time will tell. We've even thought about putting one of the V6 VM Motori diesel engines in it, which might be the way to go especially to make it still handle well in the twisties... Who knows??? It takes time and Money and I don't have a lot of either these days!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #207
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
I don't see any reason why we couldn't run a feature on your car once it is finished. The only issue I do see is shooting the feature. I'm in Tennessee, and we have staff guys in Phoenix and LA, so someone will probably have to take a flight to shoot it, or meet up with you at an event. I'd love to shoot it myself, but I would guess that someone out that way will probably end up doing it...

I can't wait to see it done.

I know my Camaro has some rust issues as well, hopefully not too bad, but time will tell. We've even thought about putting one of the V6 VM Motori diesel engines in it, which might be the way to go especially to make it still handle well in the twisties... Who knows??? It takes time and Money and I don't have a lot of either these days!!!
Cool, whatever works. It would be awesome to see it in a magazine. We'll see how it goes in the next 3 months...

Most Camaro's have rust. The good thing is there's lots of parts available to fix it. I don't know much about those VM Motori diesels, but it would be pretty cool to see it.

Time and money were my biggest obstacles also. Now that I have a little more of each, I'm just going for it. Sometimes flying by the seat of my pants.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #208
Turbo Performance

Name: Turbo Performance
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I may have missed it but have you had a chance to scale it or get weight bias on it yet? Great build!
Turbo/Manifold/Hotpipe Blankets

Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #209
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Performance View Post
I may have missed it but have you had a chance to scale it or get weight bias on it yet? Great build!
I have not been able to weigh the car yet. I'm thinking it will be somewhere between 3300 to 3500 lbs, but that's just speculation at this point. The weight bias is not that great, it's pretty nose heavy. If I would have cut out a bunch of the firewall and changed the steering to move it back about 6" from where it currently sits it would be better, but I feel that it will be fine for what I plan on doing with it.

I did get to work on it a little bit today. I made some close out panels to block the trunk area off from the drivers compartment. I'll have to upload those later when I'm not posting on my phone...

Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #210
EasternAggie

Name: EasternAggie
Title: Back from the dead!
Member`s Gallery
Just read through this whole thing, awesome job man!!!

1994 Ford F-150
12v Cummins NV4500
P7100 mods, injectors, turbo, the usual.

2010 Camaro LS3 M6 2SS/RS
CAI intake, HF cats, muffler delete, custom tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Some (women) are just built to run and others built to pull. Kinda like our trucks.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #211
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Thanks, I got some more work done on it last weekend. Finished the close out panels going into the trunk and made a new tranny tunnel cover. I need to upload pictures tonight so I can post them on here. I'm also going on a trip this weekend so I won't be able to work on it Saturday. But, with the time change on Sunday, I think I'll be able to start working on it after work during the week.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #212
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
I made some closeout panels to essentially "close out" the trunk area from the drivers compartment.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then it was time to move onto the tranny tunnel.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #213
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery

Then after tracing and cutting the cardboard template, I traced and cut out my patch panel from the wrecked roof from a 2012 Dodge 5500 cab and chassis we had recently fixed.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #214
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Then I mounted my pedals to get an idea where I can mount the go pedal. Ignore the clutch pedal, it will be removed.

I made a small mounting plate for the pedal to bolt to. Still needs to be finished, because I need to get a master cylinder and booster to get the brake pedal at the right spot/depth so I can properly position the throttle pedal.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #215
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
And I also mounted the battery tray in the truck. Still need to weld some bracing to the floor and the frame to support the weight.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #216
DEZLFREK

Name: DEZLFREK
Title: my licence plate says it
Member`s Gallery
its getting closer.. looking good

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #217
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
More nice work!
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #218
Viking

Name: Viking
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I think this is H.A.M.B. worthy!!!

Great work, I can only hope to be at this level some day.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #219
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZLFREK View Post
its getting closer.. looking good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoberman View Post
More nice work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I think this is H.A.M.B. worthy!!!

Great work, I can only hope to be at this level some day.
Thanks guys, been really really busy over the last month and have lots to post

Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #220
dslhtrdr

Member`s Gallery
Finally got a brake booster and master cylinder setup for 4 wheel disc brakes, and just as I was hoping, it clears the motor.

So since that was squared away, I was able to hook up the brake pedal to get the proper pedal position so I could mount the go pedal.

Closed Thread