Photo of a H2 Cam compared to 04.5 stocker

Joesixpack

Pull'n it.
Have to say I'm disappointed in the looks of the H2 cam, narrower lobes, thinner shaft....why??? Other than the grind, the stocker looks superior.
I know I seen somewere here Don comparing his cam to a stock, and the lobes were simular, did cummins make them wider later? And a thicker shaft?
Have to say I have reservations throwing this in my engine......my thumb has a bigger OD than the small part of this H2 cam.
All the other H2's look like this?

Stock cam top
H2 bottom

camphotos044.jpg

Ya it wouldnt take a rocket scientist to see that the other cam looks much weaker. I cant imagine why the lobes would be narrower either?

The wider lobe is not needed with the Helix 2 grind.

Longer duration allows a slower lift on the lobe compared to stock. The wider lobe also slows tappet rotation which adds to higher wear on regrind cams. Rotating the tappets ( called sliding tappets also ) are key to slower wear.

The Helix is harder at the lobe as well. The lighter overall rotating mass/weight helps avoid breakage under heavy loads. Simply less mass.

When the molds are produced, we can make them any configuration we like. Wider, not as wide, etc. A larger diameter, etc. The Helix is made this way by design.

The only load we dont like on the Helix cast cams is a 13mm inline P pump. Actually it is not the load to turn the P pump, but the unloading and shock that can oocur if a driveline piece breaks and the load is removed quickly.

The Helix lobes are the same width as the 12V cam, but not as wide as the 24 and CR. Some discussion has occured on paying for another mold, but this has not been needed. Our wear rates are the lowest we have seen on any of the cams available.

Ya its a solid flat tappet. I still dont see why you couldnt grind all the lift, duration, L.C., L.S., etc..... in a blank thats just as beefy as a stocker, and regain the nice polished fit and finish on the lobes and journals... just an observation. I really dont care though, the stocker is working fine for me, power wise that is

Smoke, what does the width of the lobe have anything to do with lift????

Thanks Don for the reassurance...no p-pump here, keeping the faith that the common rail will surpass the p-pumpers....:bang

Do like the looks of the lobe better for sure, (sept for the width)....that pointy triangle on the stocker, looks harsh.

What happened to" I forgot how much i loved cam threads"??
Didnt sound technical enough, i suppose

Who said anything about base circle???? lobe....WIDTH....not hight...but anyhow, with that many H2's out there, we would hear about them breaking or burning the lobes off, and haven't heard much about that. With that point the stocker has, you would want it as wide as you could get.

Out of curiousity, what is the weight difference's between the two, I've never really weighed one but there is a noticible difference.

Don:poke:

Smoke, what does the width of the lobe have anything to do with lift????

Thanks Don for the reassurance...no p-pump here, keeping the faith that the common rail will surpass the p-pumpers....:bang

Do like the looks of the lobe better for sure, (sept for the width)....that pointy triangle on the stocker, looks harsh.

You hit the nail dead on the head there!!

"The pointy triangle lobe" thats it Man, you are so right.

Couple of things happened on the CR: The duration went way down and the lift came up. Especially on the exhaust.

This is why the tappet diameter and the lobe width is so wide now on the stock CR. The lobes on a stock cam are very aggressive. Grossly. That triangle is hard on tappets, lobes and the pressed-in seats.

The Helix by contrast is easy on lobes. The lift on the exhaust is actually a little less than a stock CR, but the duration is much longer. This makes a more egg shaped lobe, not a triangle. It is not aggressive, it is not as anywhere as hard on valvetrain either. The frequency in the Helix VS the stock CR cam is waaaayyyy better too. No funky valve bounce and such the stock cam can give at high boost and RPM levels.

Some numbers:

Stock intake lift: .235
Helix intake lift is north of .265

Stock intake duration : 155 degrees
Helix is north of 180

Stock exhaust lift is .297
Helix is north of .280

Stock exhaust duration is 192
Helix is north of 202

The ramps are smooth, not aggressive. That crap is for the track and has no place in an engine built for durability.

The only load we dont like on the Helix cast cams is a 13mm inline P pump. Actually it is not the load to turn the P pump, but the unloading and shock that can oocur if a driveline piece breaks and the load is removed quickly.
So are you saying that a 12mm pump wont break parts and unload with shock? I have broken a few parts with a 12mm pump.:)

So are you saying that a 12mm pump wont break parts and unload with shock? I have broken a few parts with a 12mm pump.:)

I would say its possible on a 12mm pump, as I know there are some out there that have done it. I think Don was just saying that its more likely to happen with the 13mm's.

Yep! 20ft or 20 seconds. Thats a limmited warranty. You decide which one you choose. We are flexable. Warranty void if cam brakes. Not to worry due to you only have a 12mm pump. No stress involved. :kick::)

Back