HE351VE on a VP44 truck

So I just got my he351vgt in the mail today, and I had one oversight as i prepared to fab up a way to control this thing... I have a 5 speed. So when shift the the engine rpms are gonna drop, the boost will stop... and the vanes slam shut and ill get turbo surge. Am I correct?

So I just got my he351vgt in the mail today, and I had one oversight as i prepared to fab up a way to control this thing... I have a 5 speed. So when shift the the engine rpms are gonna drop, the boost will stop... and the vanes slam shut and ill get turbo surge. Am I correct?
From my understanding, the programmable Fleece controller can work around that.

hey im new to this site. and im doing the same setup as this turbo.
i got some qeustions about this turbo, it has 4 oil holes instead of 2 what do i do, does somebodyhave some pictures of what they have done.
thanks for the help

hey im new to this site. and im doing the same setup as this turbo.
i got some qeustions about this turbo, it has 4 oil holes instead of 2 what do i do, does somebodyhave some pictures of what they have done.
thanks for the help

2 of them are water for the turbo acuator the other 2 are oil

downsized_1027001729.jpg

downsized_0604001600.jpg

Ok so by looking at this odviously the moving the gear on the top of the cartridge in the direction of the red arrow you activate the EB.

Moving in the direction of the green arrow opens the vanes.

How did you extend the rod off the WG diaphram?

Where did you get the piece you welded to the arm, just something you had laying around? Is that end circle piece attached, or is it it just a piece of strap metal welded to the back side? Also where did you get your spring? And for the 300th question(sorry if I missed any of these) is that just some pieces of round metal scrape between the bottom nuts & arm?

Thanks!

Attachments

• HE351 setup.jpg
    HE351 setup.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
I can't wait to get my 351vgt put on my '99! Are 125's with only the smarty gonna help? It's just a tow rig/DD for my when I get my CR finished.

For vane collar control, a wastegate actuator was used that i bought used of ebay for like 9 bucks, and modified it with a spring so i could override optimum position for fast spool up, with a little electric motor for the exhaust brake. Im not using a stop screw to hold the vanes from fully closed, its adjustable with a nut and locknut on the w/g rod...

So how has this setup been working for you?
Also can you share your thoughts on the Wastegate that you used? model ETC. would like to setup something simple like this.

Ok so by looking at this odviously the moving the gear on the top of the cartridge in the direction of the red arrow you activate the EB.

Moving in the direction of the green arrow opens the vanes.

How did you extend the rod off the WG diaphram?

Where did you get the piece you welded to the arm, just something you had laying around? Is that end circle piece attached, or is it it just a piece of strap metal welded to the back side? Also where did you get your spring? And for the 300th question(sorry if I missed any of these) is that just some pieces of round metal scrape between the bottom nuts & arm?

Thanks!

Hello! Got the Pm, sorry i havent been on any diesel forum lately! Busy with other things. i do have a simple spring setup on a 12 valve that i drive now. works great too, and i think spool up is slightly better now. got it tuned in better i guess..

i used galvanized bolts for extending the w/g rod. its the long kind with thread only on the end. welded two bolts together and left pasrt of the OEM w/g rod thats on the top.
so i have thread on the upper half, no thread in the middle (where it slides) and threads on the bottom for adjusting initial vanes opening.

You have the Red arrow correctly. the green arrow should be flipped ( => ) and thats what opens the vanes, the wastegate pushes down and opens the vanes. did you watch my video on youtube?

im not sure what you mean with the end circle. if you mean the little hole on the left. then no its not doing anything.
yep i made the little metal piece. can be anything tough.
This setup is NOT perfect, but i thought it could give people an idea to build something and make it better.

the 300th question: :) they dont do anything there except fll up the space where the is no thread. i modified this setup a few times. Theu are spacers and come off a w/g actuator base thats bolted to a hx35 turbo

Hope it helps

Well I got the VGT installed on my '01 with the Fleece controller and now working on dialing it in. It's not too difficult to play with the tables with the software and download to the controller. Unfortunately my cheap eBay turbo is having issues in that it suddenly slams the vanes most of the way closed when I lift off the throttle sometimes, chokes out the engine pretty severely and EGT skyrockets. The only way to clear it is to cycle the key off and on real quick.

Back