Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Deployed Member Check In
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
calereeves

Name: calereeves
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Speeding ticket

On VBC... what a ****in joke. 40k in a 30k zone. I'm taking it home and framing it

Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
What the hell did you just say? I assume by your poor English you are either 19 or Canadian?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
calereeves

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlagg View Post
What the hell did you just say? I assume by your poor English you are either 19 or Canadian.
Apparently your reading comprehension skills are lacking, and conversational English eludes your understanding. Read the title of the thread: "Speeding ticket.” Then read the first phrase of the message: "On VBC... " That means I got a speeding ticket on VBC, which is Victory Base Complex.

The next phrase: "what a ****in joke." Explicitly states my utter disdain for the idea of traffic cops whose sole job is to issue speeding tickets on base in a deployed location.

After that, the message goes on to read: "40k in a 30k zone." Which, as would be the case in most instances where somebody is describing a speeding ticket, answers the first question likely to be asked by whoever is hearing my previously stated message of: "i received a speeding ticket on Victory Base Complex, what a ****in joke." I.e., in case you are still not understanding the very simple message here, the ticket was issued to me for traveling 40Kph in a 30Kph traffic zone.

The message then transitions from an explanation of past events (the issuance of said speeding ticket) to my future plans regarding the ticket: "I'm taking it home and framing it" You are correct in the "poor English" comment because I DID forget my punctuation on this one. There should have been a period (.) placed at the end of that phrase, you got me there.

The message closes with a parting shot at myself for getting a speeding ticket in a "war zone" with the .gif:

Hopefully that broke it down into small enough pieces for your feeble brain to understand, sarge. And since you made this about correcting English, I fixed your post for you and added the necessary closing punctuation. Your statement and punctuation were in disagreement.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Bustedknuckles

Name: Bustedknuckles
Title: Honey Badger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calereeves View Post
Apparently your reading comprehension skills are lacking, and conversational English eludes your understanding. Read the title of the thread: "Speeding ticket.” Then read the first phrase of the message: "On VBC... " That means I got a speeding ticket on VBC, which is Victory Base Complex.

The next phrase: "what a ****in joke." Explicitly states my utter disdain for the idea of traffic cops whose sole job is to issue speeding tickets on base in a deployed location.

After that, the message goes on to read: "40k in a 30k zone." Which, as would be the case in most instances where somebody is describing a speeding ticket, answers the first question likely to be asked by whoever is hearing my previously stated message of: "i received a speeding ticket on Victory Base Complex, what a ****in joke." I.e., in case you are still not understanding the very simple message here, the ticket was issued to me for traveling 40Kph in a 30Kph traffic zone.

The message then transitions from an explanation of past events (the issuance of said speeding ticket) to my future plans regarding the ticket: "I'm taking it home and framing it" You are correct in the "poor English" comment because I DID forget my punctuation on this one. There should have been a period (.) placed at the end of that phrase, you got me there.

The message closes with a parting shot at myself for getting a speeding ticket in a "war zone" with the .gif:

Hopefully that broke it down into small enough pieces for your feeble brain to understand, sarge. And since you made this about correcting English, I fixed your post for you and added the necessary closing punctuation. Your statement and punctuation were in disagreement.
lmao! Owned!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
the breakdown is awesome! tickets suck though

Old 09-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

So what you're really saying is some A1C showed the butter bar who's really in charge? Right Lt?

Just kidding man. The actions of Security Forces in a deployed location can be ridiculous. But at least you can admitt your own mistake.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Atchley

Name: Atchley
Title: Holler dweller
Member`s Gallery
LMFAO

Sucks about the ticket

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
kazairl

Name: kazairl
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That is awesome.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
calereeves

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHughes View Post
So what you're really saying is some A1C showed the butter bar who's really in charge? Right Lt?
EXACTLY!!! Only it was an Army SPC show the AF LT who's boss! But I'll have you know, about a month into this deployment I got to pull those butter bars off and color them in with the blue marker

Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Phooker

Name: Phooker
Title: Gluten Free
Member`s Gallery
Wow... ownage post of the week right there

Old 09-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Turbo Performance

Name: Turbo Performance
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Daaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyymmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnn. Internet bish slap.
Turbo/Manifold/Hotpipe Blankets

Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
SHughes

Name: SHughes
Title: Too much is never enough!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
EXACTLY!!! Only it was an Army SPC show the AF LT who's boss! But I'll have you know, about a month into this deployment I got to pull those butter bars off and color them in with the blue marker
yeah but you still got a ticket oh wait....

Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
JasonCzerak

Name: JasonCzerak
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
On VBC... what a ****in joke. 40k in a 30k zone. I'm taking it home and framing it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlagg View Post
What the hell did you just say? I assume by your poor English you are either 19 or Canadian?
Quote:

Owned, not really.

When you're defining a unit of something, you need to be absolutely clear. "k" is ambiguous. For example "I'll pay you 40 bucks". 40 What? Deer? It's close to hunting season, so it'll have to wait.

"I was going 40k in a 30k." I look at little k and I immediately think "kilo" But kilo what? bytes? I'm in IT, bytes comes to mind first.

VCB, let that slide a little. I bet a good portion of military wouldn't have a clue what that was. I didn't, however I'm not military. First result for Google is "VMware Consolidate Backup". My first thought as well, being in IT ;-)

Know your audience. Never assume we are on your standard of measure.

Your entire original post is made up of fragments, never mind your lack and over use of punctuation in the first and only line.

Your thread title left a little to be desired; "Speeding ticket". You have a lot of room to describe the topic at hand, use it.

Lastly, you can't "own" your self. You're not owning the police in this case, they owned you by giving you a ticket.

If only you put 1/10 the effort into your original post then your "owned" post.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Phooker

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCzerak View Post
Owned, not really.

When you're defining a unit of something, you need to be absolutely clear. "k" is ambiguous. For example "I'll pay you 40 bucks". 40 What? Deer? It's close to hunting season, so it'll have to wait.

"I was going 40k in a 30k." I look at little k and I immediately think "kilo" But kilo what? bytes? I'm in IT, bytes comes to mind first.

VCB, let that slide a little. I bet a good portion of military wouldn't have a clue what that was. I didn't, however I'm not military. First result for Google is "VMware Consolidate Backup". My first thought as well, being in IT ;-)

Your entire original post is made up of fragments, never mind your lack and over use of punctuation in the first and only line.

Your thread title left a little to be desired; "Speeding ticket". You have a lot of room to describe the topic at hand, use it.

Lastly, you can't "own" your self. You're not owning the police in this case, they owned you by giving you a ticket.

Aren't there servers crashing somewhere?

Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
JasonCzerak

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001shrtbedcmns View Post
Aren't there servers crashing somewhere?
Not mine.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
calereeves

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Owned, not really.

Refer back to post number 3, RE: reading comprehension and conversational english. I didn't use the term bucks, but by all means, let me Google that for you. I said 40k in a 30k, in refernce to the speeding ticket (context clues here. Stick with me, man). Does 40kilobytes in a 30kilobyte zone really make much sense? Nope. But 40 kilometers per hour sure does!

Quote:

Ahh, again with reading comprehension. My first post very clearly says VBC which I've already defined as Victory Base Complex. Not VCB. I'd accept a general reading error if the only place in this post VBC was stated was the original post, but in my second post, I clearly defined the acronym, after using it for the second time. You apparently didn't pay much attention to my second post. Or the first for that matter.

Quote:
Being that I posted this in the "Deployed Member Check In" forum, I thought my audience was already predefined for me as military members. VBC is the largest base in Iraq, and there's a VERY good chance that anyone who has been over here has heard of it. Perhaps if you don't understand the lingo, the post wasn't intended for you. I will grant you, however, the fact that it hadn't ocurred to me that non-military might peruse this forum.

Quote:

And again, sir, you are correct, I could have used the entire Subject line to read: "I received a speeding ticket on Victory Base Complex in Iraq traveling 40kph in a 30" but I got cut off at 30 (try it!) so I shortened it to simply: "Speeding ticket"

Quote:
I wasn't implying I was owning the police.... I was implying the police owned me. I'm the one that walked away with a speeding ticket and had to walk into my commander's office and explain myself. I'm fairly sure I know who got owned in this arrangement.

Quote:
Ahh, but the vast majority of folks won't have any problem deciphering the original post. I normally focus my efforts on things that matter; like dealing with the fallout from the ticket, rather than posting detailed accounts of my day, capable of being read and understood by any blithering idiot on the internet.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Phooker

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Not mine.
Meh!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
JasonCzerak

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Refer back to post number 3, RE: reading comprehension and conversational english. I didn't use the term bucks, but by all means, let me Google that for you. I said 40k in a 30k, in refernce to the speeding ticket (context clues here. Stick with me, man). Does 40kilobytes in a 30kilobyte zone really make much sense? Nope. But 40 kilometers per hour sure does!
I said "for example" in regard to my "bucks" comment/example.

English and reference are spelled wrong.

If you're to lazy to add in the "ph" after "k", then you need to stop posting about "proper English" right now.

Quote:
Ahh, again with reading comprehension. My first post very clearly says VBC which I've already defined as Victory Base Complex. Not VCB. I'd accept a general reading error if the only place in this post VBC was stated was the original post, but in my second post, I clearly defined the acronym, after using it for the second time. You apparently didn't pay much attention to my second post. Or the first for that matter.
Sure, I got the letters transposed. However your are highly incorrect about a clear acronym. There are virtually zero acronyms that are unique and clear.

VBC - Definition by AcronymFinder

Quote:
Being that I posted this in the "Deployed Member Check In" forum, I thought my audience was already predefined for me as military members. VBC is the largest base in Iraq, and there's a VERY good chance that anyone who has been over here has heard of it. Perhaps if you don't understand the lingo, the post wasn't intended for you. I will grant you, however, the fact that it hadn't ocurred to me that non-military might peruse this forum.
occurred is spelled wrong.

Quote:
And again, sir, you are correct, I could have used the entire Subject line to read: "I received a speeding ticket on Victory Base Complex in Iraq traveling 40kph in a 30" but I got cut off at 30 (try it!) so I shortened it to simply: "Speeding ticket"
Since when did starting a sentence with "and" become the norm?

Subject shouldn't be capitalized in the middle of a sentence.

If you're this smart dude, you could come up with something better.

Quote:
I wasn't implying I was owning the police.... I was implying the police owned me. I'm the one that walked away with a speeding ticket and had to walk into my commander's office and explain myself. I'm fairly sure I know who got owned in this arrangement.
Comp D man law---- Use of Owned - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Quote:
Ahh, but the vast majority of folks won't have any problem deciphering the original post. I normally focus my efforts on things that matter; like dealing with the fallout from the ticket, rather than posting detailed accounts of my day, capable of being read and understood by any blithering idiot on the internet.
I never had a problem. I figured it out. You insisted on a bash on a fellow CompD member that isn't an idiot by treating him like an idiot on an orignal post that was completely pathetic to begin with. That's why you are currently under the microscope.

Have a nice day.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Funny how a 20 word or less post turns into a p*ssin' contest. Ya bunch of bored asshats.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
JasonCzerak

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Funny how a 20 word or less post turns into a p*ssin' contest. Ya bunch of bored asshats.
20 word fragment.. Thankyouverymuch. .

---

Edit-ish. one of my "your"s should be "you"

Closed Thread