Opinions on the 472sxe

fosterriley

Just wanna go fast
Im curious as to what everyones thoughts are for the borg 472sxe. I've heard a lot of good but I've also heard people who have grenading them in the first 10 minutes of being on the truck... and I've seen a few that bent the shaft pretty bad. I would like to run it right around 900hp.

I've heard good things about the 472sxe. I have not ran it personally. There is a thread on here about the new sxe turbos "s400sxe" is what the topic is called try searching for it. I run the 476sxe on my truck and have pushed it to just over a 1000 with 200overs at 1750uS. Didn't want to go any further because I still have stock btm end. Mines just a street/race truck not a daily driver. I think the 472 would meet the goals you want just fine and be a good driveable charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard good things about the 472sxe. I have not ran it personally. There is a thread on here about the new sxe turbos "s400sxe" is what the topic is called try searching for it. I run the 476sxe on my truck and have pushed it to just over a 1000 with 200overs at 1750uS. Didn't want to go any further because I still have stock btm end. Mines just a street/race truck not a daily driver. I think the 472 would meet the goals you want just fine and be a good driveable charger.

Thank you for the reply. Ive read that thread and couldn't find anything about the durability of the turbo. I plan on daily driving with it which is one reason why Im looking at this turbo.

What turbine wheel and housing do you run?

Not sure what the cause is of the failures are, but I have seen a few on the forums, facebook, and instagram. The s369sxe and the s472sxe.

I would look into Forced Inductions, Infinite performance or Engineered Turbos.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it is common knowledge that the SX-E turbine wheel is actually the existing 82/91mm turbine wheel with the inducer diameter reduced to 87mm, it is not a new casting or design. This also makes it possible for aftermarket companies to buy the cheaper BW 169011 box unit and modify the turbine wheel to try and duplicate this, however to be honest judging by the failure rate they have not been overly successful. This is also the reason you will see BW turbine housings often not fit the aftermarket variations.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it is common knowledge that the SX-E turbine wheel is actually the existing 82/91mm turbine wheel with the inducer diameter reduced to 87mm, it is not a new casting or design. This also makes it possible for aftermarket companies to buy the cheaper BW 169011 box unit and modify the turbine wheel to try and duplicate this, however to be honest judging by the failure rate they have not been overly successful. This is also the reason you will see BW turbine housings often not fit the aftermarket variations.

Hmm good to know. What would you recommend for a similar size setup? Just the old 87/81 turbine?

Hmm good to know. What would you recommend for a similar size setup? Just the old 87/81 turbine?
The 82/87mm(often called 81/87mm) turbine is a good design, same as the 73/84mm, and will spool a bit faster than the older John Deere 80/87mm due to not having a cast in clip. The real answer to the question would depend on how the turbo is being used.

Seems to me people in the turbo industry really need to learn how to round decimals properly.

And I do have a blow off valve on it. Never seen above 70psi. Only got a few test runs out of it with the 48re and big fuel.

I took the video Wednesday morning. On Monday I took the filter off. To check the pressure port on the blow of valve. And I noticed it took a little too much force than usual to get the wheel to spin. But once it did spin. It would stay spinning for a second or two. I found it to be odd but it didn't have any play in it.

Last edited:
Anyone running one put a restrictor on it? They are saying no warranty because my 6an line is too big with no restrictor.

Don't common rail guys with s475s go just as high if not higher? BW says these are tested up to 70psi on their main site.

Last edited:
This is a bummer to hear about but a good heads up.

Anybody have any ideas why they have a short life span?

Back