1st gen 4 core radiator

Red Sleeper

My eBay (China) 3 core factory replacement aluminum radiator cracked on me a few months ago in the 91. For $300 it provided 6 years of cooling before failing. It surprisingly cooled very well, never had an overheat issue. Several times with truck pulling trailer, loaded, AC on, hot Texas heat, and no issue. I was pleased.

I set out to order another eBay (China) aluminum radiator and came across a 4 core. Hm, more is better obviously. And the Tim Alan voice inside my head was grunting away at the bigger unit. $325 later it arrived at the shop.

Upon removing old one, here are some side by side comparisons.

a1ddcef64b385cd23861ae0177dd926a.jpg

e36d9c8b075506eb401f576760c1b32d.jpg

8f267bac5b84137b09de0219f8daf231.jpg

2ff057f7e6c2d2df813e84b523a10c05.jpg

a270c02dfab074ede32e0f79a7c2d51c.jpg

5c87d0eeeec321b474ff1fa3cb1e05eb.jpg

I tore into it one evening and quickly remembered the previous radiator required some lower rad hose trimming.

The new unit had the lower inlet welded on in the correct orientation and lower hose fit much better.
a050eccd71c51d28c69ca964febfc4d4.jpg

251c9fa12213e935b0a32a4a9578175f.jpg

Then I found out the new 4 core wouldn’t drop right into factory location without some modifications to core support. The old radiator had much more radius in the tank corners (stamped tanks) providing a perfect factory fitment. The 4 core has sharper corners (fabricated tanks) that interfered with the lower core support.

A cut off wheel on the die grinder to the driver side. Has to remove the body mount bolt for enough die grinder clearance. And removed some of the bent/radius metal on the core support that helps divert air to the radiator.
d043a300a6c8ce3dde4a2b243eb22655.jpg

No cutting on the passenger side, just straightening of the bent/radius portion of core support, finally allowing radiator to slide in place.

Hoses hooked up fine. Hooked up ground wire from body to radiator bracket, attached upper mounting brackets. Those were at a slight upward angle compared to the previous 3 core, as if the 4 core was taller. But the brackets were all the same height from one to the other.
After adding coolant and burping the system, test drove and closely inspected for any contact between radiator and core support. No contact! But it’s close, very close in a few areas.

In the end, I would probably suggest the 3 core to save yourself the troubles I encountered. However, if I have another 6 years of service out of this unit, I’ll be happy. Seems crazy to only expect 6 years of service from a radiator, but as rough as this truck rides, and the abuse it sees, I’ll take it.
I did contact the eBay seller about their “lifetime” guarantee. He said, “ 5 year warranty, you no problem with unit, no worry please. Very tank you.”

I did find the seller where I bought the 3 core radiator, contacted them about a replacement, no response. Surprise surprise.

With a round bale, it rides smooth.
1a3f800051c7a4ca06b33eb57f7e0ff1.jpg

Now the heater core sprung a leak. Damn. It too was replaced 6 years ago when I installed the 3 core aluminum radiator. Why do 1st - 3ed gen dodge trucks have heater core issues?

Last edited:
I will say the weld quality on the new 4 core is much better than the previous 3 core. The 3 core was painted silver to cover up some bad looking welded areas. The new 4 core is not painted, guess they wanted to show off their quality a little.

I considered buying a mitchimoto unit, but everything I read stated they are also made over seas. China? Japan? I don’t know.

I’d like to compare this new one with a mitchimoto unit. From pictures online, they look quite similar.

As far as I know I still have stock radiator and heater core in my '90. If they have ever been replaced it was before I acquired the truck in 2005.

I can overheat it driving up a big hill even without a load so I'm looking for something new to use. Good to know that eBay aluminum units aren't a terrible option.

Is yours factory-intercooled or no?

Yes, factory innercooled 91.5 with no over heat issues. Mine is a manual though. (Thank goodness)

Engine and IP have typical stock mods. It ran a 16.5 flat in the 1/4.

Go with the 3 core rad and you’ll be happy with no hacking needed.

As far as I know I still have stock radiator and heater core in my '90. If they have ever been replaced it was before I acquired the truck in 2005.

I can overheat it driving up a big hill even without a load so I'm looking for something new to use. Good to know that eBay aluminum units aren't a terrible option.

Is yours factory-intercooled or no?

Are your radiator fins dirty? I have cleaned a few 2nd gen radiators that will filled with oily dirt from the vent tube.

Are your radiator fins dirty? I have cleaned a few 2nd gen radiators that will filled with oily dirt from the vent tube.

You seriously think I haven't cleaned my radiator in 15+ years?

Because I haven't, but nonetheless I am scandalized that you'd think that of me.

Update on the radiator. Ran with a load from Houston to Austin, reloaded and went to Waco, unloaded and back to Houston. Ambient was easily 98*, ran the AC all day, doing 65mph with the gooseneck well loaded except for the Waco to Houston stretch.

Truck performed well, engine coolant temp was good all day according to the terrible factory gauge. Found out the fan contacts the radiator slightly when the engine torques over in 1st and 2nd gear with a load. Engine mounts are shot. Ordered new mounts from Genos, back order. Same for the trans mount. So I wait and listen to the fan "tick tick tick tick tick" the radiator until the mounts arrive. Only when under a load and engine is really torqued over, lower gears mainly.

Also learned about the blower motor issue on 1st gens. My buddy informed me of this when I showed up at his shop in Waco. He showed me the Jim Lane fix, which I plan to perform soon.

Heater core is cracked again. Bypasses until weather gets cooler and I need it.

Not bad for an abandoned truck half under a lean-too. It has come a long ways in 10 years.

Last edited:
Back