Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > Caterpilllar
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Caterpilllar Mello Yello

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
SPEAKSUP

Name: SPEAKSUP
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I was sitting in the new Tundra and was talking to him about the hino and they ae nice. Really big roomy sunroof. I wouldn't mind having one I drove a new Tundra they ride real smooth now that with a Hino Cat would have been bette will be nice.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #22
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Its a shame, like the cat's in our trucks the most by far. We've got a older 3406C that has been the most faithful thing on the place.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #23
RobertDuval

Name: RobertDuval
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Don't think it was scraped, i was out there about a month ago for hydraulics training and they said it was a go. But with the markets the way they are it wouldn't suprise me either. Anything smaller than a c9 right now only makes up about 15% of cats sales in motors because most motors under that are not cat. Just some one elses motor in a yellow wraper.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #24
Booger

Name: Booger
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
not that my two cents is worth too awful much, but i would have to guess that it wouldn't be too far away from the cat small engines, where you get a japanese motor sprayed with yellow paint with a couple of caterpillar stickers smacked haphazardly on the side of it. any other guys like me who are waiting on a 3406e to be shrunk down and stuck into a pickup truck can just keep on waiting, 'cause it's probably not going to happen.... this is just my uneducated opinion.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
FV SarahBrent

Name: FV SarahBrent
Title: Bluewater
Member`s Gallery
Daaaaaaaamn!!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
not that my two cents is worth too awful much, but i would have to guess that it wouldn't be too far away from the cat small engines, where you get a japanese motor sprayed with yellow paint with a couple of caterpillar stickers smacked haphazardly on the side of it. any other guys like me who are waiting on a 3406e to be shrunk down and stuck into a pickup truck can just keep on waiting, 'cause it's probably not going to happen.... this is just my uneducated opinion.
Just FYI...those Japanese engines painted yellow, are Perkins, with CAT stickers...you know, since CAT owns Perkins.

There isn't anything Japanese about them...and Perkins has as good a track record as CAT, Cummins, Mack, whoever

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #27
RobertDuval

Member`s Gallery
That's funny our 320c excavator has a mitisubishi motor in it. last time i checked neither cat nor perkins owned mitisu. Another thing you may find interesting we have 3 sullair 185 tow behind compressors with perkins 2.2L turbo diesels that are plagued with problems. we were told they are throw away motors. Maybe that's why there is no core charge on them. Cat uses a couple of different engine builders per the aplication it is to be put in.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #28
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDuval View Post
That's funny our 320c excavator has a mitisubishi motor in it. last time i checked neither cat nor perkins owned mitisu. Another thing you may find interesting we have 3 sullair 185 tow behind compressors with perkins 2.2L turbo diesels that are plagued with problems. we were told they are throw away motors. Maybe that's why there is no core charge on them. Cat uses a couple of different engine builders per the aplication it is to be put in.
Never have had anything with a 2.2L Perkins...actually, never had anything much smaller than 4.0L or so...so I guess I'm basing my opinion off of that

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #29
RobertDuval

Member`s Gallery
Then you would be correct. I don't know what is going on with these new perkins motors but they are junk (the 2.2L) We have an erin screener with a non turbo 4.0L and i love that thing. They beat the bag out of it and it just keeps purring.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #30
82ndsnpr

Name: 82ndsnpr
Member`s Gallery
all my cats 320-and up to the 385cl is a cat motor now i know talking to our cat rep that cat is not going to make anymore motors for highway use they are killing that section of the engine deparment. they say the epa is killing it for them really they cant dump the huge amounts of money into the new epa rules and now see it as a waste in the cost vs repayment

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #31
RobertDuval

Member`s Gallery
Hey when i serviced our 312 excavator today i realized that has a mitisu motor in it to. I'll get some pics.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #32
RobertDuval

Member`s Gallery
82ndsnpr what motor does your 320 have in it?? have you had any issues with a vibration in it?? I think ours has a bad coupler between the motor and the pump, boss won't let us take it apart.. a cat tech told us that he came accross a couple 320's with this issue.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #33
82ndsnpr

Member`s Gallery
C6.4 CAT TURBO MOTOR IS ALL OUR 320s we have had problems with the mounts on a few what pump are you talking about the hydro system pump

Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #34
Ben46a

Name: Ben46a
Title: Puller wannabe
Member`s Gallery
A cat C6.4 is a mitsu engine... all cat excavators 320 and down except the 305 and under minis, are built under the Shin-Caterpillar-Mitsubishi arrangment at several plants in Japan including Akashi.

The C15 Cat is living on as the International MaxxForce 15L.

http://redigitaleditions.com/Olive/O...&view=ZW50aXR5
2008 Ram RCLB 2500 4x4,6.7, 3850 SBCDD, 3.42, II 85% cp3, 75/83/1.0, 2nd gen PDI manifold, torker 150 hp inj, ADII 165, Hellman Sump, A1 H11 studs, Smarty TNT, BHAF, Hellman intercooler, passenger diesel intake system and grid delete.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #35
RobertDuval

Member`s Gallery
82ndsnpr the hydraulic pump is what i was talking about. we have a 301.6, it's hillarious. i was doing some SMALL clean up with it and every time i hit a rock or something it felt like i was going over.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #36
82ndsnpr

Member`s Gallery
yea to be honest im not a big fan of the cat track hoes they always seem to be a little light on the counter weight i prefer komatsu hoes or volvo they seem to be able to pull out (break force) heavier loads and i get less roll when loading rock trucks. and yes all cats motors are built in japan but they are still a cat motor just built under licence in a joint effort.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #37
RobertDuval

Member`s Gallery
We have 2 volvos and i hate them. the hydraulic return line couplers leak about every 2000 hours, they have bolth puked out the computers and now the 240 puked a head gasket. I haven't been around any komatsus but i hear they are compareable to a cat as far as service and repairability. The volvo tech told us that we got a good run out of the 240 before the major problems. That was untill we showed him our 290 hundai that has over 40,000 HRS on it with out any major motor work. Well it does have a cummings in it.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #38
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Just found this thread.

The C15 platform is not dead. production did not stop. The engines are being shipped off shore and trimmed for off highway... Heard talk handed down from our training Dep that the off highways will use parrallel turbos. They're starting to train field techs on the emmissions systems because they don't seem to intend to cange it much for off highway.

Maxforce 15L engines with IH valvetrain architecture and CAT bottom end structure.

Our entire on highway Power Systems Division is full up with warranty work. We're in a holding pattern for the next 5 years.

The baby perkins motors are trash. If you try to have the blocks machined they laugh at you because the F'd up crank journals are 6" in diameter.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Closed Thread