Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
1slowhatch

Name: 1slowhatch
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
12v Lift Pump Pressure? VIDEO INSIDE

Been chasing a low rpm miss/shudder problem for a while now.
'95 12v 5 speed, 120k miles, 3k gsk, 4 inch exhaust, 5x.014 SDX injectors, etc etc.

The truck is really jerky under 1500 rpms, and gets worse as the engine comes to temperature. I was told it may be a broken throttle spring. I put a spring on it, and it still does the same thing. It does it free revving and under a load, but idles pretty smooth.

I was told to look into a TSB regarding lift pump pressure and overflow valve. I installed a fuel pressure gauge by taping the banjo bolt into the injection pump (feed from the lift pump).

Here is the video (truck is idling and at full operating temperature):

As you can see, it is very jumpy. The pressure is also lower than advised. I crimped the return line as advised in the Dodge TSB and the pressure instantly pegged the gauge. Another thing I've noticed is that my truck is continuing to idle lower and lower. I put the GSK last year, and it seemed to idle too high. Now it almost dies with the A/C on.

Should I put a new overflow valve on it? Is it a lift pump problem? Any input is greatly appreciated..

Last edited by 1slowhatch; 08-08-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Modify your stock overflow valve with a bic pen spring. Try to get 35-40 psi at idle and 40+ at 2500 rpm free rev.

As far as your idle, you can adjust your idle up with the idle adjustment screw but I would strongly advise you to tighten the governor springs 2 clicks on each side = 180* turn on the preload nut.
OEM 12v Block

Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
holsky

Name: holsky
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
Modify your stock overflow valve with a bic pen spring. Try to get 35-40 psi at idle and 40+ at 2500 rpm free rev.

As far as your idle, you can adjust your idle up with the idle adjustment screw but I would strongly advise you to tighten the governor springs 2 clicks on each side = 180* turn on the preload nut.
Thats what I was thinking. Im running between 35-40 psi at idle.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
1slowhatch

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I don't suppose you have any info on how to modify it? Does it just need to be replaced?

Also, does it seem normal to be that jumpy on the gauge?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Gasoline Sucks

Name: Gasoline Sucks
Title: slow 12v
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I did that on mine and it raised the idle to almost 1000 but would still stall when dropped into gear. I loosened them back up 2 clicks and adjusted the idle with the idle screw and I only had to raise it to 800 in neutral and it would drop into gear without stalling. I'm told tightening the governor springs tend to cause a "hang idle" but it didnt help my stalling at all.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
VMacKenzie

Name: VMacKenzie
Member`s Gallery
1slowhatch, it is fairly common for p-pump rigs to have a slight miss on one cylinder at partial throttle between about 1200-1400 RPM. Guys have spent a lot of $$ and time fighting it and gone as far as replacing injection pumps and doing valve jobs & head work, to no avail. There's been discussion about this before, sometimes guys get lucky and solve it playing with governor springs or swapping out injectors. I'm one of the guys who fought it with valve jobs, several sets of injectors, playing with gov springs, tweaking timing, swapping out two injection pumps, doing compression checks and blowby measurements, and in the end gave up and learned to live with it.

Your fuel pressure behaves exactly like mine and engine sounds just the same.

1996 Ram 2500 CC 4x4, 5-speed, DDP injectors, HX35/40 hybrid. 469,244 mile daily driver

Last edited by VMacKenzie; 08-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
1slowhatch

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMacKenzie View Post
1slowhatch, it is fairly common for p-pump rigs to have a slight miss on one cylinder at partial throttle between about 1200-1400 RPM. Guys have spent a lot of $$ and time fighting it and gone as far as replacing injection pumps and doing valve jobs & head work, to no avail. There's been discussion about this before, sometimes guys get lucky and solve it playing with governor springs or swapping out injectors. I'm one of the guys who fought it with valve jobs, several sets of injectors, playing with gov springs, tweaking timing, swapping out two injection pumps, doing compression checks and blowby measurements, and in the end gave up and learned to live with it.

Your fuel pressure behaves exactly like mine and engine sounds just the same.
hmm.. I don't think I'll keep the truck if I cant' get it to drive smoothly.

would you think that going tighter on the gov springs might help things? I know I put injectors in it and it didn't really change anything. Same with the initial gov spring install.

I guess I could always put an auto in it with a converter...

Old 08-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Timebomb

Name: Timebomb
Title: Bootney Lee Fonsworth
Member`s Gallery
Tighten gov springs up like said above, Your idle sounds too low, Fuel pressure looks normal for a stock lift pump. To really see if its a fuel delivery issue you need to drive the truck and look at FP under load.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
captain_stabbin

Name: captain_stabbin
Title: hmm
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowhatch View Post
I don't suppose you have any info on how to modify it? Does it just need to be replaced?

Also, does it seem normal to be that jumpy on the gauge?
the gauge is gonna jump due to lift pump driven off cam

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
97 D-Tec

Name: 97 D-Tec
Member`s Gallery
If you want the right fuel pressure all the time and aren't strapped for cash I suggest buying an air dog, set it and forget it. Ive done the modifying the overflow valve, the tighting governor springs, and adjusting the idle. i had the same problem with mine. and the truck fell on its face at WOT. Modifying the overflow valve only helped off idle performance for a short time as it will compensate for a lift pump that is dieing, the governor adjustment was great if you like your rpms to hang and it didn't really fix anything either. The idle adjustment will help your truck run with the a/c on and when your engaging your clutch but it wont fix all your problems. What I'm trying to say is that your old lift pump is probably on its way out. Since you have lower fuel pressure then spec even at idle, at WOT or anything in between you still don't have the right amount of fuel pressure. An air dog will flow more fuel at a higher pressure then playing around with the stock lift pump will. This will fix your fuel pressure problem then you can head on to adjusting your idle to fix how it acts with a/c. I did this and i have had no problems since.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
1slowhatch

Member`s Gallery
well I ended up running Tork Teks overflow valve. I now have good pressure at idle and 3000 rpm free rev (28+).

Truck still misses at lower rpms and runs crappy. Taking off is still jerky.

I don't think it can be a lift pump problem when it misses just reving it up with no load (and I can verify great lift pump pressure on my gauge)

What do I do next? Compression check?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
95-12valve

Name: 95-12valve
Title: What's a CP3?
Member`s Gallery
Have you checked the timing on it?
Big Thanks to SMOKEM!!!
"Do something smart..."

Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
wildman6bt

Name: wildman6bt
Title: Diesel = Broke
Member`s Gallery
Mine stutters at 1000 rpm and I've heard 2 things, 370 marine injectors or the 4gsk. Well that's from the intelligent ones on compd think. It doesn't bother me it just sounds funny goin thru Walmart parking lot. One thing that has impressed me a lot was adjusting the valves. My truck shook at an idle before and it runs like a new engine now. Might try it Idk I print stickers for a living so what the Hell do I know!

03 Dodge 2500, Afe stage 2 pro dry filter, 50hp injectors, he351.

Thanks!
Mumau Diesel
Exergy

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
1slowhatch

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-12valve View Post
Have you checked the timing on it?
Not yet, I guess that would be another good direction.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
1slowhatch

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman6bt View Post
Mine stutters at 1000 rpm and I've heard 2 things, 370 marine injectors or the 4gsk. Well that's from the intelligent ones on compd think. It doesn't bother me it just sounds funny goin thru Walmart parking lot. One thing that has impressed me a lot was adjusting the valves. My truck shook at an idle before and it runs like a new engine now. Might try it Idk I print stickers for a living so what the Hell do I know!
Still haven't checked the valves either.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
95-12valve

Name: 95-12valve
Title: What's a CP3?
Member`s Gallery
Can you post a video of what it does from beside the truck as you are reving it so we can see and hear the exhaust and get an over all view of things?
Big Thanks to SMOKEM!!!
"Do something smart..."

Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
1slowhatch

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-12valve View Post
Can you post a video of what it does from beside the truck as you are reving it so we can see and hear the exhaust and get an over all view of things?
sure, any input is greatly appreciated!

I'll try to get one uploaded tomorrow.

Closed Thread