Anyone found the limits of a 6.7 Cummins block?

So I have a question,,, would I maybe be better off to scrap my 6.7 and find a 5.9 block and head and just use my existing 12v rods (that are in the process of being peened and cryoed) or keep going with the 6.7 and buy some billet rods etc.

Bet you're like me and wish you could turn back the clock and go a different direction.LOL

Bet you're like me and wish you could turn back the clock and go a different direction.LOL

I know several folks that are that way. Money can be spent more effectively elsewhere. Many are thinking naturally aspirated and the cubic inches make a bigger difference.

How can shane get some 68 passes out I his block and still be in good shape? No one here is pushing that kind HP.
I guess my question is what are they doing differently?

What is his HP? I fully expect mine to be well over 1200,, maybe even 1500, depending on how much spray I decide to use......

Ron, I am really thinking of just stopping on this 6.7... I have been looking around and I can find a 5.9 block and head for a reasonable price (between 1000 and 1500) use all the parts that I already have, maybe a new set of pistons, and still be less than what I would have to spend to get the 6.7 running,,, with 3000 just for a set of billet rods, and the extra machining...

I am really torn,, I hate to quit, not my style usually.. but the smart side of me is saying to go with what I know, get it together, set it up for 1000 to 1100 hp, with how light I have the truck it should be able to make passes all day.

What a conundrum.... arrgghh

What is his HP? I fully expect mine to be well over 1200,, maybe even 1500, depending on how much spray I decide to use......

Ron, I am really thinking of just stopping on this 6.7... I have been looking around and I can find a 5.9 block and head for a reasonable price (between 1000 and 1500) use all the parts that I already have, maybe a new set of pistons, and still be less than what I would have to spend to get the 6.7 running,,, with 3000 just for a set of billet rods, and the extra machining...

I am really torn,, I hate to quit, not my style usually.. but the smart side of me is saying to go with what I know, get it together, set it up for 1000 to 1100 hp, with how light I have the truck it should be able to make passes all day.

What a conundrum.... arrgghh

If you decide to quit on the 6.7 let me know. Mine's being assembled so there is no turning back. I'll need a smaller injection pump or turn this one down(which is sad in itself) but I'm just daily driving mine so the extra couple hundred hp i was hoping for aren't really needed. All this extra stuff should allow me to drop down to the 1k mark and burn even cleaner. It would have been fun to try and hit 1400 or more on fuel and still street drive with it, but heck, who'd of thought Cummins would have taken a step backward like that. On the bright side, maybe the 24V in my truck might actually be worth something now and maybe 6.7 parts will drop in price.

Last edited:
I suppose mods usually mount the engine much more rigid so that might work for the torsional theory.

Shane's running a stock bore? Or sleeved down as well? Wasn't the season before he went through like 3 blocks? Might have him mixed up with another.....

How can shane get some 68 passes out I his block and still be in good shape? No one here is pushing that kind HP.
I guess my question is what are they doing differently?

Deckplate and sleeves. That is part of the combo to keep the engine together.

I suppose mods usually mount the engine much more rigid so that might work for the torsional theory.

Shane's running a stock bore? Or sleeved down as well? Wasn't the season before he went through like 3 blocks? Might have him mixed up with another.....

This season was all on the same block. Last season he went through a few.

Matts isnt even in his truck yet so what do we know about spoolup or longevity yet?

It was built after Ashleys and they spent a lot of time talking thats not the only one Lavon talked to about the same thing.

Shane has two championships and over 99 passes on that one. Sleeve and Deckplate that " Super B" Engine just seems unstoppable also 12v's IDK if that would make a difference.

Back