So I went out and bought a nice Tig welder...

It has always been something i had wanted to learn for the longest time.
I bought the new ESAB Heliarc 281I what was literally just released to the market. Liquid cooled, torch and foot control, hot start, and the whole nine yards.

20130919_162659_zps23cd5dd9.jpg

Every where i have read aluminum is the hardest to do and control so first on my agenda was the try aluminum. Playing with the Frequencies, pulse width, pulse drops and balance i thought i did fairly good on 3/8 flat stock.

20130920_231302_LLS_zps624ba23a.jpg

20130920_231313_LLS_zpsad8d482d.jpg

20130920_231327_LLS_zpsbf01e8b3.jpg

It has been nothing but a learning experience, even after i started getting pissed with burning the tungsten left and right then realizing i had DCEP instead of DCEN.

With that being said anyone one have tips or pointers or maybe a good book to pick up to learn a little more?

Clean aluminum is a must. As well as a well prepped tungsten tip. Stainless steel brush that hasn't touched anything but aluminum to clean it with. That's all I have. I got to be "OK" at it in school but never actually built anything.

I couldn't tig if someone had a gun to my head. My grandpa was a welder for 40 years and could cut a pop can in half with a band saw and tig it back together, he tried teaching me and I caught on a little, but I've since forgotten how and he passed away about 7 or 8 years ago.

Check out Eastwood.com. They have a few instructional videos online. Pretty basic but may help you a bunch.

The best aluminum welds come from very clean aluminum. Pulse works excellent. Get used to grinding tungsten on its own grinder, Do everything you can to not contaminate it. Use the proper tungsten for the metal you are welding. Other than that just practice a lot.

I was literally going make a thread just like this, this morning but you beat me too it. I recently just started tigging this week. Steel though not aluminum. Heck of a job on the first time!

Impressive for a first attempt! I just started tig welding a couple months ago, myself. Just kind of teaching myself as I go. You'll eventually burn through enough and ruin enough tungsten that you'll tell yourself you're gona do it right or throw the welder in a busy street. LOL

Here's a one of mine. Don't hate on it too bad. Haha
uploadfromtaptalk1379771719630.jpg

The higher the frequency on aluminum, the prettier and shinier the weld becomes, although the stacked dimes look may not be as prevalent. I like to weld around 400hz, it puddles out and flows the metal quite a bit smoother.

I want a tig welder. How much have you spent on you set up so far?

I got a good deal on this one because of a pre release pre order but the machine is roughly 4700 with all the bells and whistles. If you plan on using it alot id go for it. They also offer smaller machines too.

Back